Providence Chapel, Enfield Lock, lay either on
the north-east corner of Putney Road and Hertford Road (shown here) or
the southern side of Putney Road where Cranbourne Court now stands. Strict
Baptists moved here from Enfield Highway Baptist Chapel in 1875, surviving
until 1973. Alma Hope Chapel, New Road, Ponders End, existed in
1875-1896, and a nearby mission hall in Alma Road was registered in 1879
by the Ponders End Mission. It closed in 1896.
Totteridge Road Baptist Church is on the southern
side of Totteridge Road, midway along. It was founded in 1868 with help from
Spurgeon for members who had met in Enfield Highway Congregational Chapel.
Although originally described as Particular Baptists, the congregation has
always permitted open communion and belonged to the Baptist Union. The present,
larger, church was built in front of the older one in 1871. The original
building became a hall, replaced in 1933.
Ordnance Road (Wesleyan) Methodist Church
is on the north-west corner of Ordnance Road and Raynton Road. A small
brick chapel was opened in 1859 on Grove Road (which cannot be found
in 2010). In 1879 it was replaced by an iron chapel in Ordnance Road.
This was replaced by a brick chapel and schoolroom in 1904. The present
cruciform building was opened in 1957, south of the 1904 church, which
in 1973 served as the church hall (since replaced by housing).
The Parish Church of St Peter & St Paul
Enfield Lock occupies a narrow, cluttered site at the south-east
corner of Ordnance Road and Chesterfield Road. The church was built in
1928 to serve as a chapel of ease to St James Enfield Highway, and was
intended to replace the Garrison Chapel of the Royal Small Arms
Factory in nearby Enfield Lock, which existed in 1882 and which closed
in 1921. The new church was a plain brick building close to the corner
of the street.
The church was damaged by bombs in the Second World
War and was later demolished. The present church was built a little to
the east, from the designs of Romilly Craze, and was consecrated in 1969.
It is a brick building with a simple plan and tall, three-light windows,
a western narthex and baptistery, and a south-western tower. Curiously
the building is very reminiscent of art-deco London Underground
architecture of the 1930s. In 1969 it gained its own parish.