St Helen Stonegate is on the south-east
corner of Davygate and Stonegate in the centre of York. The church
is dedicated to Helena (c.248-c.327), wife of the Emperor Constantius
Chlorus and mother of Constantine the Great, the first Christian emperor,
who was proclaimed in York in 306. Her popularity in Yorkshire is indicated
by the high number of medieval church dedications to her. This church was
first mentioned in 1235, but a church was already on the site in the 1100s.
The building was restored after 1554. Until 1745, when
the square in front of the church was created, much of this area was occupied
by a churchyard bounded on two sides by Stonegate and Davygate. In 1805 and
1814 significant repairs were undertaken. The steeple was replaced by a light
belfry and lantern, which were in turn replaced by the rebuilt steeple in 1875.
The church was closed soon after 1910, and only an appeal saved it. York
Chinese Church also meets here.
York Central Mission Hall is at the south-west
corner of Swinegate and Back Swinegate. The Central Mission used New
Street Methodist Chapel in 1908-1910 before moving here. They merged
with Monk Bar Chapel in 1919 and this building may have been sold. A band
of revivalists led by the founder of the Elim Four Square Gospel Alliance
arrived in York in 1934, acquiring the mission and renaming it the Elim
Tabernacle. It closed by 2008, becoming a bar and grill.
St Sampson Girdlegate is on the southern corner
of Church Street and Patrick Pool. It was first mentioned in 1154 when
it was granted to Pontefract Priory. Between 1334-1383 the advowson reverted
to the Crown. The building consists of a nave with north and south aisles and
a tower over the west end. It was rebuilt in the fifteenth century, when the
tower was probably added, and again in 1848, with the exception of the tower.
There is one bell and a sanctus bell.
Bedern Chapel is on the eastern side of
Bedern, just inside the narrow passageway entrance from the southern
side of Goodramgate. The name Bedern is first mentioned around 1270
in documents relating to the college. The word is Anglo-Saxon for
'house of prayer'. The chapel and nearby hall were originally part
of the College of the Vicars Choral which occupied the area, and are
its only remnants. There was also a Bedern Spiritualist Church
nearby in 1939.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.