Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
St Mary Castlegate stands on the eastern side
of Castlegate, overlooking the eastern end of Friargate in York. The
church has a dedication stone which calls the church a minster, and
records that it was founded by [Ef]rard, Grim and Ęse. The date of
founding is unknown but is thought to be the late tenth or early
eleventh century. It comprises a nave with north and south aisles,
a chancel with north aisle, a chapel south of the chancel, and a west
tower with spire.
The prevailing style is fifteenth century but
with noticeable sections of twelfth and thirteenth century work
remaining. It was fully restored by Butterfield between 1868-1870.
Deconsecrated in 1958, between 1975-2001 it served as a heritage
centre. It reopened as a modern visual arts venue in 2004.
Nearby, the Catholic Apostolic Church was recorded in York in
1867. In 1872-1902 it met in a room in Castlegate, and then in the
Merchant Tailors' Hall until 1939.
St Michael Spurriergate is on the
north-west corner of Low Ousegatye and Spurriergate. The church
existed by 1088 and may have been built very shortly before that
date. It comprises a nave with north and south aisles and a tower
over the west end of the nave. In 1821 the east wall was set back
seven feet to widen Spurriergate, and the church was re-licensed for
marriages in 1953. It is now the Spurriergate Centre. Its parish
merged with that of All Saints Pavement.
St John North Street was otherwise known as
St John Ouse Bridge End. It stands at the north-west corner of
Micklegate and North Street. The church was included in the papal
confirmation of Minster properties of 1194, and comprises a nave with
north and south aisles and a west tower. The prevailing styles are
fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The church closed in 1939 and in
1956 was opened by the York Academic Trust as an Institute of
The Parish Church of All Saints North Street is
on the western side of North street, a few metres south of the junction
with Tanner Row. The first mention of the church is in 1089. An aisle was
added in the twelfth century, and the church grew in stages over the
subsequent century. It was almost entirely rebuilt, and expanded, between
1394-1470, which is when the tower was added. The church suffered during
the Reformation, losing many altars and much ornamentation.
The Church of St Martin-cum-Gregory is at the
south-east corner of Micklegate and St Martin's Lane. Its (probable)
churchyard is mentioned in the period 1170-1180, when the church was
known as St Martin Micklegate. It was proposed in 1548 to unite
St Gregory Micklegate with St Martin's and this took place in 1586, with
St Martin's being the only united benefice to retain a double name. It
closed in 1947 and was later being developed as a stained glass centre.
The Priory Church of the Holy Trinity is
more generally known as Holy Trinity Micklegate. It sits on
the south-west corner of Micklegate and Trinity Lane. In 1089 the
Benedictines from Marmoutier in Normandy, known in York as the 'Alien
Benedictines', created a priory here, on the site of a pre-Conquest
church, which itself was possibly the successor of Alcuin of York's
great Saxon church, the Alma Sophia. The priory was a large
monastic complex with Holy Trinity at its heart.
It seems that the Benedictines built a new priory
church adjacent to the ancient church, although the latter remained in
use by the local inhabitants even though it was probably small and ruinous.
The priory was swept away by the Dissolution but the church, also called
Christ Church, survived. It seems that over time the remnants of
both churches were built up into one church, with the tower on the site
of the original building. Nearby, there was a Christian Spiritualist
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.