Melbourne Terrace Methodist Church is on
the western side of Cemetery Road, just north of the Melbourne Street
junction. A Methodist New Connexion congregation was meeting in a
room in Whitby Terrace, off Cemetery Road, in 1855. They sold to Wesleyan
Methodists in 1872, moving to Trinity Chapel. The Wesleyans opened a
new red brick chapel decorated with stone and white brick on the
present site on 22 March 1877. It was demolished and rebuilt after 1955.
The Christian Science Society is on the eastern
side of Fulford Road, opposite the entrance for Alma Terrace. It is a
branch of the church of Christ Scientist in Boston Massachusetts, USA.
Regular services were first held in York in 1907. In June 1929 the present
church was opened, built of rustic bricks with windows decorated with stone
facing and a flat roof. There was also a Christian Scientist reading room
at 4 Lendal in 1956 which moved to High Petergate in 1959.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.