Lidgett Grove Methodist Church stands on the
western side of Wheatlands Grove, opposite Shirley Avenue in Acomb. A
temporary Wesleyan chapel was opened on a site adjacent to Beckfield Lane
and Lidgett Grove in 1934, and the present red brick chapel was completed
in 1937. Its pulpit is claimed to be that used by John Wesley when he
visited the church of St Mary Castlegate, and which was subsequently
used in Peckitt Street New Connexion Chapel.
The Church of the Holy Redeemer stands on the
northern side of Boroughbridge Road, midway between Cranbrook Avenue and
Plantation Drive. This was the first parish church to be built in York
after the Second World War, and twelfth century stones from the ancient
church of St Mary Bishophill Senior were used in its design by the architect,
George Pace. The foundation stone was laid in November 1962 and the completed
church was consecrated in December 1964.
Clifton Methodist Church sits on the southern
side of Clifton Moor, immediately north of the Burton Stone Lane
junction in Clifton. The first Methodists here met in a cottage in
the 1870s. In April 1884, Avenue Terrace Chapel opened on the
corner of the terrace. The present church was opened as Clifton
Chapel in 1909. It was built in red brick in the Gothic style, with
a tower and spire. The old chapel was later converted into houses, Nos
5 and 7 on Avenue Terrace.
The Parish Church of St Thomas with St Maurice,
The Groves, is on the northern side of Lowther Street, opposite St Thomas
Place. The church was built in 1853-1854 by G F Jones of York and was
consecrated on 22 August 1854. The church was assigned a Consolidated
District on 1 May 1855 out of part of St Olave's parish. The cruciform
church is built of stone, with galleries in the transepts and a bell
turret over the west end. The chancel was enlarged in 1899.
The Parish Church of St Luke the Evangelist
is on the south-west corner of Burton Stone Lane and Shipton Street in
Clifton. A tin church was built on Shipton Street in the late 1800s.
In 1900, the foundation stone was laid for the present building,
designed by renowned York architect Walter Brierley. Work on the
nave was completed in 1911, but the temporary brick sidewalls have
never been replaced with the intended north and south aisles. It
gained a parish in 1930.
St Joseph's Catholic Church occupies a deep
plot on the north-western side of the grass-covered roundabout at Kingsway
North and Sutton Way in Clifton. Little data is available regarding the
construction of the red brick church, but the style of architecture suggests
a date of founding of comparatively recently times, possibly as early as
the 1950s but more likely to have been the 1960s. The main building is
rectangular with a rounded apse and north-eastern tower.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.