Deighton Methodist Church lies on the
southern side of Main Street, just east of Forge Lane. Houses were
licensed for worship by protestant dissenters at Deighton in 1793,
and Escrick in 1806 and 1809 (two of them), 1820, 1822, and 1824.
A Methodist society was formed at Deighton in 1807, and after 1850
meetings were held at Crockey Hill Farm. In the 1860s and 1870s
Wesleyan Methodists attended the parish church until the present
chapel was built in 1880.
St Matthew, Naburn, stands on the eastern
side of York Road, just below the St Matthew's Close junction. A chapel
at Naburn was first mentioned in 1353 and was referred to in 1433.
Naburn remained a chapelry until 1842, when it gained a separate
parish. The original Chapel of St Nicholas on this site, in the
grounds of Naburn Hall, was taken down and rebuilt about 1870. Little
is known of the earlier building, but repairs were made in 1615 (steeple)
and 1721 (porch).
The new church of St Matthew was built in 1854 and
consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, north-west tower and spire, and
south porch. It was designed in the Decorated style by G T Andrews of York.
The pulpit was replaced in 1910. There were two bells in 1764 but the new
church had three. Naburn Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1818,
in the back lane east of the village. It was replaced in 1857 by a larger
chapel near the village centre. This closed in 1970.
Holy Trinity Church, Acaster Malbis, is on the
eastern side of Acaster Lane just north of the Canon's Court junction.
The Latin word for a camp is castra, indicating that the Roman army
may have been based here. The village is mentioned in Domesday Book as
Acastre. 'Malbis' derives from the Norman Malbysse or De Malebys family,
a Norman personal name that in French means 'very swarthy', and this family
gained Acastre during the reign of Richard I.
A Norman church was built on this site, probably about
1100. In 1360 the estates of the Malbysse family passed into the hands of
the Fairfax family, who pulled the old church down. The replacement they
built, the present church, survives largely intact, along with some additions
and restoration work from 1886 by C Hodgson. The church was built in Magnesian
limestone ashlar with a plain tile roof, wooden bell tower to the west, and a
south porch in the church's cruciform ground plan.
Acaster Malbis Methodist Church occupies a
green and pleasant plot on the western side of Mill Lane, opposite
Holly Close in the middle of the village. The chapel was founded in
1880. Considering just how many Methodist meetings were founded in
nearby Deighton and Escrick (see above), it seems odd that only one
existed in Acaster Malbis. As one of the few surviving Methodist
meetings, it seems just as odd that no details are available about
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.