St Mary's Church, Askham Richard, is on the
eastern side of Jackson's Walk, off Main Street. The first record of a
church here dates to 1086, probably a wooden Saxon building. The present
single cell church is Norman, built in rubble masonry, and it was given
to Nun Monkton Priory in the 1130s. It was partly rebuilt in 1887 (or
1878-1879), when chancel arch, vestry and porch were added. Askham
Richard Wesleyan Methodist Church was nearby in 1848, but has since
Rufforth Methodist Church is on the eastern side
of Wetherby Road, midway between the junctions with Victoria Farm Close and
Gable Park. The chapel was built in 1843. Little is known of its history,
but in more recent years it has come to the rescue of the village in its
efforts to save the local post office at a time when hundreds across the
country were being closed down. The chapel supplied a store room which was
converted and opened as a part-time post office.
All Saints Church, Rufforth, is at the north-east
corner of Wetherby Road and Pear Tree Farm in the middle of the village. The
first church here was either late Saxon or early Norman, but nothing of its
history can be uncovered. The present church was built in 1894-1895, designed
in the decorated Gothic style by the architects Domaine and Brierley of York,
with accommodation for 120. Externally, the building is of Killinghall stone
with Whitby stone dressings.
Internally, suitable stone from the old church has been
used, and the two Norman doorways were preserved and refitted inside the
new building. The interior underside of the roof is of oak, barrel vaulted
with carved bosses and carved figures. The church was refurbished in 1998.
In 2007 the bells were increased to six, forcing the clock to be stopped
while the work was carried out. The new bells were salvaged from a redundant
Methodist church in the Midlands.
Hessay Methodist Church stands on the northern side
of Main Street at the very western end of the village. Hessay appears to be
very poorly documented, with almost nothing to be found either on the Methodist
church or the nearby parish church of St John the Baptist (below). The village
itself has a population a little below two hundred and, until 1996, it was in
the Harrogate district of the North Riding of Yorkshire, and lies about eight
kilometres (five miles) away from York.
The Church of St John the Baptist, Hessay, occupies
an open plot on the western side of New Road, midway between the village to
the south and the railway line to the north. Within the parish of Moor Monkton
in 1821, the village was given to St Mary's Abbey in York by Osbern de Archis,
probably in the twelfth or thirteenth century, and remained in their possession
until the Dissolution under Henry VIII. No other information on the church
itself can be uncovered.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.