St Andrew's Church, Bishopsthorpe, is at the
north-west corner of Church Lane and Bishopsthorpe Road. In 1202, St
Andrew's Priory at Fishergate built the first church here and dedicated
it to their patron saint. The older village name of Thorp-super-Usam was
gradually replaced by Andrewthorpe. Later in the century, Archbishop of
York Walter de Grey bought the manor house and gave it to York Minster.
It became Bishopthorpe Palace, residence of the archbishops.
In 1405, Archbishop Scrope of York was beheaded by
Henry IV. In 1763, Archbishop Drummond transformed Bishopsthorne Palace
by building the 'Strawberry Gothick' west front and gatehouse. The
original church was demolished in 1768 and a replacement was built by
Archbishop Drummond on the same site. The third church of St Andrew was
constructed between 1898 and 1899, but now located away from the river.
The architect was C Hodgson Fowler.
Bishopsthorne Methodist Church is on the
inside of the junction between Sim Balk Lane and Copmanthorpe Lane.
The first Methodist chapel in Bishopsthorne was Wesley House, which
is now behind the supermarket. In 1899 this was given up when the
present church was built (and is now a private residence). The nearby
almshouses were demolished in 1963 due to deterioration and the
need to widen the increasingly busy junction at Sim Balk Lane and
St Giles, Copmanthorpe, stands inside the
circle formed by Church Street and Main Street in the heart of the
village, which is mentioned in Domesday Book as 'Copemantorp', meaning
'traders' village' or 'craftsmen's village'. The village was the site
of a preceptory of the Knights Templar, on land given by the Malbysse
family. The church was built by the Normans in 1180 as a chapel of ease
to St Mary Bishophill Junior. It remained so until 1866, when it gained
its own parish.
Copmanthorpe Methodist Church stands on the
eastern side of Main Street, opposite Wilstrop Farm Road. Church Street,
close to the church of St Giles, was the home of the village's first
Methodist chapel. This was opened about 1788 but appears not to have
survived. The present chapel was built in 1958 to a design by the
architects Greenwood and Nicholls. It stands south of St Giles by about
150 metres, with a large extension to the rear of the building.
St Nicholas' Church, Askham Bryan, is on the
northern side of Main Street at the eastern end of the village. Its name
originated in Ascam or Ascha, 'ash tree enclosure'. 'Bryan' was the lord
of the manor. The Norman church was built in the late eleventh century. The
original south door, and north and east walls survive. The bell tower was
added in the seventeenth century. Askham Bryan Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
also existed in the nineteenth century, but has not survived.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.