The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints is on the southern side of Acomb Road, opposite Grantham
Drive in Holgate. The organisation was founded by Joseph Smith in
New York State in the USA in 1830. This particular branch was built
in the late 1980s after fire destroyed its predecessor, although the
date of construction for that first building is unknown. More recently
plans were undertaken to expand the premises for a growing congregation.
The Parish Church of St Edward the Confessor
Dringhouses is on the eastern side of Tadcaster Road, opposite
St Helen's Road. St Helen's Chapel (of ease) is recorded here
for 1546 and 1548. It survived the Reformation and was replaced by
another building in 1725. This was in turn replaced by the present
building in 1847-1849 which was consecrated in 1849 and its dedication
changed from St Helen to St Edward. It gained a parish from Holy
Trinity Micklegate in 1853.
West Thorpe Methodist Church is on the
eastern side of West Thorpe Road, opposite Sandcroft Road, near
Woodthorpe. Methodism was introduced locally in 1816 and a chapel was
built in 1834. A larger building, known as Dringhouses Chapel,
replaced it in 1890 on the same site at the corner of Slingsby Grove
and Tadcaster Road. This closed in 1954 and the old chapel was sold.
The present chapel opened on 17 July 1954, some distance from the
old chapel site.
The Parish Church of St James the Deacon
is at the north-east corner of Rycroft Avenue and Sherringham Drive
in Woodthorpe. The parish began as a mission district in 1952, with
its base in Thanet Road where a combined church and hall and later a
vicarage were built. The current site was purchased in 1966 to build
a church which would be more central to the growing population in the area.
The building, designed by George Pace, was consecrated on 2 July 1971.
The Catholic Church of Our Lady occupies a
site at the south-west corner of Gale Lane and Cornlands Road in Acomb,
to the west of York. Roman Catholic services were begun in Acomb Council
School in 1941. The present brick-built church was opened in 1955. It
consists of a nave with two side aisles and a clerestory and enough seating
for four hundred persons. The cost of the building was £28,000, constructed
to a design by J H Langtry-Langton of Bradford.
Acomb Methodist Church stands on the southern
side of Front Street, approximately forty metres (yards) west of Chancery
Court. The first chapel here formerly stood some metres down the street,
on the opposite side. This was demolished and replaced by the present chapel
in 1963, which was opened in 1964. The church contains its own war memorial,
'To the Glory of God and in memory of the men of this Church who died in the
Great War 1914 - 1919'.
Acomb Baptist Church stands on the eastern side
of the Ridgeway, opposite Barkston Avenue. The church began life as a
wooden hut, which was opened on a patch of grass on the site in 1960 when
ministers at York Baptist Church realised the need for local services in
the rapidly expanding suburb. Initially, baptisms were conducted outside
in the open. Following modest extensions, the decision was made to erect
the present building, which opened in 1969.
St Aidan's Church stands at the north-west
corner of the Ridgeway and Bramham Avenue in Acomb. The parish lay round
the western half of York and stretched from the river on the north to
Dringhouses township on the south. It was not brought within the city
until 1937. To serve the growing population of the area two churches
were built to supplement the ancient church of St Stephen (below),
while St Aidan, which is a post-1961 construction, was included later.
St Stephen's Church stands in grounds on the
northern side of The Green at its eastern end, where it meets the York
Road. Built on a hill, a Saxon church stood here originally, before being
replaced by a medieval building. Parts of the original Saxon church were
uncovered in 1830, when the church was rebuilt and enlarged between then
and 1831. The architect was G T Andrews (who was also the architect of
York's first railway station, which still survives as railway offices).
In 1851, the porch of the Saxon chancel was taken down
and the present chancel erected. On 19 December 1992 the church was set
ablaze by two boys who broke in via the toilets. Following extensive
restoration work the church was rededicated on 17 September 1994. Acomb
Allowed Meeting (Quakers) started nearby, in the Foresters' Hall, Acomb,
in 1906. They bought Acomb Primitive Methodist Chapel on Acomb Green
in 1911, and continued until after 1956.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.