Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of the City of York
by Peter Kessler, 9 January 2011. Updated 23 January 2014
St George's Catholic Church is on the
north-east corner of George Street and Margaret Street. It opened
on 4 September 1850 as the first church to be used as a cathedral
after the restoration of Catholicism in York, principally for Irish
immigrants who had arrived in the 1840s. The building is Early Decorated
style with three gabled roofs and a double belfry. St George's
(Wesleyan) Methodist Chapel stood at the end of Chapel Lane,
off George Street, between 1826-1897.
St Denys Walmgate is on the block inside Walmgate,
Dennis Street and St Denys Road, within the walls on the south-east side of
the city. The area seems originally to have been a suburb of the Roman city,
which grew up round the old 'Waingate' (the street of the wagons). Built on
the site of a Saxon church and possibly a Roman temple, this small medieval
church was first recorded between 1154-1170. The medieval nave stood to the
west of the tower here.
The church comprises a short, narrow nave with wide
north and south aisles. The modern nave is the medieval church's chancel,
a survivor when the old nave was demolished in 1798. At the same date
the spire was removed and the doorway of about 1160 reset in the south
chapel. The tower was dismantled and rebuilt in 1846. The grave of
notorious highwayman Dick Turpin, hanged in 1739 on the Knavesmire, lies
in St George's graveyard just a few hundred metres away.
The Parish Church of St Margaret Walmgate stands
on the south-west corner of Navigation Road and Percy's Lane. The church
is first mentioned in a charter dated between 1177 and 1181 when the advowson
was granted to St Leonard's Hospital, but it certainly existed before
that time - the doorway to the porch dates to about 1160 and is said to have
come from St Nicholas Lawrence Street. Much of the fabric of the church was
rebuilt in the fourteenth century.
The church comprises a nave and north aisle (visible
on the right here), porch, vestry, and tower, much of which is is fourteenth
century. Apart from the porch and the tower (which dates from 1684), the
church was rebuilt in 1852, although much of the style of the older building
survived. Elements of that building remain in the tracery of some windows on
the south side of the nave and in the east window. The church closed in 1955.
It is now the National Centre for Early Music.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.
Additional information by John Grant.