St Saviour Saint Saviourgate is on the
south-east corner of Saint Saviourgate and Hungate. First mentioned
in 1088-1093, when part of St Mary's Abbey, it comprises nave, north
and south aisles, vestry, and west tower. Much of the church was
entirely rebuilt about 1450, and again in 1844 (except for the tower).
The church was closed and the parish united to All Saints Pavement
(below) in 1954, the building serving as a store for York Museum.
It is now the Jorvik 'Dig'.
York Central Methodist Church is on the
northern side of Saint Saviourgate, midway between Colliergate and
Hungate. It was opened in 1840 as the Centenary Chapel after
New Street Chapel was found to be too small. Hit by fire in 1863 and
1864, it was rebuilt. Nearby, Exclusive Plymouth Brethren met from
about 1861 to 1937 in Salem Chapel School, St Saviourgate,
reached through Webster's Passage between Nos 19 and 21 on the west
side of the street.
The Church of St Crux Pavement stood at the
southern end of the Shambles, while St Crux Hall still stands on the
northern side of The Stonebow, between Colliergate and the Shambles
(behind the former church on its eastern flank). The name is a corruption
of 'Saincte Crusses', or Holy Cross Church. Carved Saxon cross
fragments have been found on the site, but nothing is known of the first
church building. The first mention of it is from the Domesday Book
The church gradually fell into disrepair. All
but the tower was rebuilt in stone in 1424. The tower was rebuilt in
the Italian style in 1697, red brick with stone dressings, a cupola
on top with a large weather vane and stone 'vases' at each corner.
Poor foundations meant that it slowly declined. The Victorians considered
it 'unsightly'. The stone vases were missing by 1881, and the cupola
collapsed in 1872. Demolition followed in 1887 and only
the hall (here) remains.
The Parish Church of All Saints Pavement
lies inside the fork of High Ousegate and Coppergate at their eastern
end. According to tradition the first church on this site was built
in 685 for St Cuthbert, but archaeology can find nothing earlier
than the tenth century building erected in Scandinavian York. This
church was mentioned in the Domesday Book, and was probably destroyed
by a complete rebuild in the eleventh century. More rebuilding was
carried out in the 1500s.
In 1336-1671 a row of houses stood in the church
yard to maintain a chapel to the Virgin Mary. These were replaced by a
market cross, given by Marmaduke Rawden, which itself was removed in
1813. In 1400 the lantern tower was added, along with a clerestory and
battlements about 1440. So that the market place could be enlarged, the
chancel and aisles were removed in 1782 and a new east wall built.
1834-1837 saw extensive restoration of the tower and lantern.
Friends Meeting House (Quakers) is on the
southern side of the narrow Friargate. This is one of the larger Quaker
meetings with perhaps upwards of a hundred present. Quakers were in York
in 1651, but it took until 1674 for some tenements adjacent to Friargate
to be adapted as a formal meeting place. In 1718 a new, much larger, meeting
house was erected on the west side of the old one, but this was taken down
in 1816 and replaced by the present building.
Six photos on this page kindly contributed by Colin Hinson.