St Paul's Catholic Church is on the
northern side of Maison Dieu Road, opposite Pencester Road. The
church was built in 1867-1868 as the first permanent place of
worship for Catholics in Dover. The Dover Mission had existed
some time before, and Our Lady of Pity Catholic Church stood for a
while on Snargate Street. A site for this new church was chosen in
Ashen Tree Lane, but when the ground was found to be unsuitable, it
was sold and the present site purchased.
Dover Baptist Church meets at New Salem Chapel,
on the southern side of Maison Dieu Road, some metres north-west of the
junction with Park Street. This replaced the original Salem Chapel which
formerly stood in Biggin Street. Lacking the space for much-needed expansion,
the church's members built their new chapel on this site in 1969. The
following year the old premises were demolished, along with several adjoining
buildings, to make way for Boots the Chemist.
St Columba United Reformed Church stands on the
north-west corner of the High Street and Priory Hill (seen here in the early
1900s). A Huguenot weaver on Bench Street at the start of the 1700s helped
found an informal church in his workshop. This expanded and moved to a 'malt
and mill house' on Last Lane close to Zion Chapel. Later, the Independents of
St John Mariner Church founded Russell Street Congregational Church in
July 1838 (near the waterfront).
This merged with the 'mill house' church in 1900. In 1904,
the present building opened as High Street Congregational Church. It
became St Columba in 1971, but services ended on 31 August 2003, and the church
merged with London Road Methodist Church. The building was converted into
apartments in 2007 but a week before sales began, the upper floor and roof were
completely destroyed by fire. Now due for demolition, the church remained
untouched by mid-2010.
Salvation Army Tabernacle stands on the western side
of the High Street, opposite Wood Street. The Tabernacle has had a rough life.
It was built in 1913, just before the outbreak of the First World War, and was
largely destroyed by enemy action during the Second World War. It was rebuilt
in 1955, but finally closed and was sold to a local businessman in 2003. Internal
work was being carried out in 2007 to convert the building, but for what purpose
Tower Hamlets Methodist Church stands on the northern
side of Tower Street, close to the junction with South Road in the westerly Tower
Hamlets district of Dover. In 1850, Steriker Finnis, who built the first part of
this district, gave the Wesleyans a site on which to build a chapel. This opened
in the same year as Tower Hamlets Wesleyan Mission Hall. It merged with
London Road Methodist Church in 2003, and the old building was converted into
two private dwellings.
The Ark sits on the crest of an extremely steep hill
at the top of Tower Hamlets, on the northern side of Noah's Ark Road, opposite
Northbourne Avenue. The Ark was purchased in 1996 by Dover Apostolic Church,
which moved here from their premises on London Road. The former eye-hospital
was formally opened for worship by Harold Wade in September 1997. The Arena and
Terrace Suite extension was opened in 2003 as a combined community and conference
Gateway Christian Fellowship occupies a site on
the southern side of Tower Hamlets Road, opposite De Burgh Street, in which
the Assemblies of God Pentecostal Church meets. The building existed
in 1991 but perhaps not much earlier than that, due to the fact that the
church requested retrospective planning permission for the construction of
a 'detached cabin', the fellowship building, in 2010, which was granted.
What occupied the site before 1991 is not known.
Peter Street (Primitive) Methodist Chapel stood
around the south-east corner of Peter Street and High Street. Primitive
Methodist services started in a carpenter's workshop in Limekiln Street in
1849. Preparations began in 1851 to place a chapel in Peter Street. It was
built in 1860 but proved too small and not central enough, so in 1898 the
site for London Road Methodist Church was purchased and the Peter Street
site sold. By 2010 it was occupied by new housing.
St Bartholomew's Church stood on the north-west corner
of London Road and Templar Street. It was built to serve the Tower Hamlets
district in 1877-1879, designed by Joseph Clark. The Early English building was
thirty-three metres (111 feet) long, and consisted of a clerestoried nave of five
bays, side aisles and apse-shaped chancel. The parish went to St Peter & St
Paul Charlton on 1 July 1972, and soon after the church was demolished to make way
for new housing.
One photo on this page contributed by Dover