St Peter & St Paul Charlton-in-Dover
is on a large site on the southern side of St Alphege Road at Charlton
Green in Dover. The earliest reference to a church here dates from
between 1147-1182, referring to the dedication of a chapel to St Peter
at Charlton. Details of this early building are unclear until 1827 when
it was rebuilt as it was too small. How much of the 1827 building contained
original elements is not known, but by the end of the century it was also
By the time this was realised, Charlton had been
incorporated into Dover. The present church was built alongside the
old one and was consecrated in 1893 (both are shown here about 1894).
The old church was demolished in 1895, and a stone in the churchyard
marks the site of the old high altar. The new church was damaged during
the Second World War when a shell exploded under the foundations on 15
September 1944. Repairs were completed in 1952.
London Road Methodist Church is on the
south-east corner of Beaconsfield Road and London Road. The site
was purchased in 1898 by Primitive Methodists and the church opened
on New Year's Day 1902. Bombed in the Second World War, half the
building nearest London Road was demolished. In 2003, the church
absorbed the members of Tower Hamlets and St Columba churches, and
was renamed The Beacon Church & Christian Centre
Shooter's Hill Methodist Chapel sits at
the south-west corner of Shooter's Hill, overlooking London Road.
Buckland Wesleyan Methodist Church was built opposite in 1810,
and was still in existence in 1839 when this church opened. It
apparently closed in 1964 and nothing remains of it today. When
Shooter's Hill ceased to be a church, it housed the Sea Cadets,
became a bingo hall, and was then derelict until it became the
privately owned King's Hall in 1998.
Dover Apostolic Church occupies the north-west
corner of London Road and Erith Street. The church was founded in the
1970s, and the building shown here served until the start of the 1990s.
Then, church members met in the Dover South Kent College until 1996, when
The Ark, on Noah's Ark Road in the Tower Hamlets district of Dover, was
purchased. The Erith Street building was taken over by MH Community Care
which provides personal care services in the region.
St Barnabas Church Buckland sat in a site on
the south-east corner of Barton Road and Cherry Tree Avenue. The church
was built in 1901 to meet the needs of the expanding parish of Buckland
in Dover. A memorial stone was laid in front of the chancel by Robert
Hesketh Jones JP on 9 October 1901. Initially only the nave and north
aisle were built (both of which can be seen here about 1925), which gave
this finely-built Early English-style church seating for about five
R W Paramore handled the work on part of Barton Meadow.
The church had a corrugated iron annexe as a parish hall, which was intended
to be made permanent when funds permitted. A turret and vestry were added as
part of the original scheme for a permanent building and dedicated in November
1930. The church was severely damaged by enemy bombing in 1940. It was never
used again and was demolished after the war's end. The site is now playing
Buckland Church of St Andrew is within a large,
heavily tree-lined site on the southern side of Crabble Meadows. The first
church here in 'Bocheland' is thought to have been Anglo-Saxon in origin.
It was probably a simple timber structure or one built of chalk and flint
from the adjoining hillside, and it still existed in 1087, alongside a
well-established yew tree. The present church was built by the monks of
St Martin's Priory in about 1196 and the original fabric is still visible.
On 8 May 1774, the spire was struck by lightning.
The church underwent restoration and enlargement work in 1851 and was
greatly extended in 1880. Between 24 February and 5 March 1880 the old
yew tree, which was thought to be a thousand years old, was moved twenty
metres to the west by William Barron of the firm of Barron & Son
of Borrowash near Derby, to make way for the extension. Tickets were
sold at two shillings and sixpence to an eager crowd.
Seven photos on this page by P L Kessler, and two
kindly contributed by Dover History Scrapbook.