Solomon's Temple lies on the northern
side of the connecting lane between Lady Margaret Manor Road and
Seed Road, about ninety metres east of the junction with the former,
to the south of Doddington. Also referred to as Doddington
Temple, the porch carries the date 1669 for this timber-framed
building. The OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 shows it as Solomon's
Temple, although its religious connections remain uncertain, if
they existed at all.
Doddington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
stood on the east side of Church Hill, around fifty metres north
of the junction with The Street to the immediate east of Doddington.
The chapel was positioned roughly where the greenery covers the red
brick wall here. It is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914,
seemingly within the grounds of the large house that survives today
on The Street. The OS 1:25,000 of 1937-1961 shows the chapel to have
The Church of the Beheading of St John the
Baptist, Doddington, is on the east side of Church Hill,
around two hundred metres south of the drive for Doddington Palace
Gardens, and to the north-east of the village itself. It consists
of stone dressings and field or chalk flints with a traditional,
characteristic Kentish finish of a skim-coat of mortar-dashing
that leaves only a quarter of the flints visible, aptly described
as a 'homely, but highly picturesque and very lasting surface'.
The principal architectural features of the
church today are a chancel, nave, south chapel, south aisle, south
porch, and weather-boarded west tower. The dedication is one of the
rarest in England, shared only with Trimmingham on the East Norfolk
coast. A Saxon church probably occupied the site until replaced in
the 1100s by the earliest parts of the present building. It was
extended about 1200 and in the 1400s, and then restored in 1873-74
St Catherine Church, Kingsdown, is around
six hundred metres south of the M2, with a rectory on its western
flank and open fields around it, accessible via Down Court Road to
the south. It is the only complete Anglican church to be designed
by Victorian architect E W Pugin. Built in 1866-1877 to replace a
medieval church, it has a needle-sharp spire and richly-coloured
stained glass. It remains a time capsule of Victorian church design
that is still almost exactly as Pugin designed it.
Milstead Primitive Methodist Chapel stood
on the west side of Frinstead Road, about half a kilometre north of
a junction with the east-west road that connects to Frinsted. The
chapel is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914. It had already
vanished by the time of issue of the OS 1:25,000 map of 1937-1961.
Today there is a thick copse on the side of the road where the
chapel once stood (on the right here, opposite the clearing on
the left, and looking south).
Photos on this page kindly contributed by
Jeremy Sage, Jelltex, and John E Vigar, all via the 'History Files:
Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group, and one by Hobbs Parker