Rescorla Mission Room seems truly lost.
The Cornwall Industrial Settlements Initiative (CISI) for Bugle and
Stenalees documents an unsectarian mission room at Rescorla. The
same mission is also noted in Kelly's Directory, 1902.
However, OS maps of the late Victorian period and early twentieth
century show nothing so perhaps its existence was brief. Scol de Sul
Cottage, fifty metres south-west of the chapel, used to house a
Sunday School so perhaps a mission too.
Penwithick (First) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
was at the south-east corner of the junction between Penwithick Road
and Hallaze Road, immediately south of Rescorla. The chapel was
built in 1906 following a stone-laying ceremony on the Easter
Monday. The building was soon found to be too small for its growing
congregation so a replacement site was selected next door (to the
right here). The old building (now lost to Chapel Court's houses)
became a Sunday School.
Penwithick (Second) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
stands on the eastern side of Penwithick Road, just thirty metres
south of the junction with Hallaze Road. This second chapel was
built in 1914 to replace the earlier building right next door, with
fund-raising taking place in 1913-1915. In 1935 'Wesleyan' was
dropped from the title thanks to the Methodist union. For a century
the old building served as a Sunday School before being demolished
Treverbyn Old Chapel stood on the northern
flank of Treverbyn Manor Chapel, the remnants of which are known as
Treverbyn Farm. The site lies a kilometre due east of Resugga Green
and Penwithick. Treverbyn was a Domesday manor, home to the Treverbyn
family. The chapel served as their place of worship and laying to
rest, but was also open to the local public until Holy Trinity Church
at St Austell was erected in 1169. This chapel closed at the time
of the Reformation.
Trethurgy Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on
the western side of Chapel Lane, around 150 metres north of the
Tregrehan junction, due south of Treverbyn via Knightor. Trethurgy
(or Trethurgey) chapel was built in 1862, as shown on its date
stone. A Sunday School was built next to the chapel, and this also
survives today, with both serving as private residences. Chapel
records go up to 1985, with planning approval for conversion to
private residences being seen in 1986.
St Guidel's Chapel and Menacuddle
Well Chapel (the former baptistery - 'mena' is Cornish for
'sanctuary' and 'cuddle' is a contortion of St Guidel) lay on
the right-hand side of the lane and St Austell River, about
seventy metres north-west of the B3274 junction. The nearby
chapel was built for the reputed healing powers of the waters,
probably about the same time as the baptistery in the 1300s.
Both were attached to Tyrwardreath Priory, and were abolished
by the Reformation.
Five photos on this page by Jo Lewis, and
one kindly contributed by Jolyon Vincent via the 'History Files:
Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group. Additional information
by Paul Barnett, from Kelly's Directory of Cornwall (1902),
from The History of Cornwall: From the Earliest Records and
Traditions, Volume 2, Samuel Drew (Ed), 1824, and from Holy
Wells of Cornwall, J Meyrick (1982).