YOUR PICTURE GALLERY IS NOW LOADING...
St Austell Bible Christian Chapel (Second
Site) is at the north-west corner of the Trevarthian Road and
Tregarne Terrace junction. Facing the earlier chapel of the same
name (to the left of the photo - see links), and also known as Zion
Chapel, it was built in 1890-1891. Another name given to it is
Tregarne Chapel. It was built in granite, with seats for 600. It
became Zion United Methodist Church in 1907 and then Zion
Methodist Church in 1932 but is now closed.
The earliest-known Friends Meeting House
(Quakers) in St Austell was acquired around 1690 in Workhouse
Lane (now Moorland Road), although it was too early to appear on OS
maps and the site cannot now be precisely located. The Quakers left
that for this site at the south-east corner of High Cross Street and
Beech Road, built in 1726. They moved again in 1828 (see below),
selling this site which became a police station and more recently a
scruffy-looking car park.
The third Friends Meeting House (Quakers)
site in St Austell is this, located on the western side of High
Cross Street just thirty-or-so metres north of their previous chapel
(see above). A burial ground lies to the front and side of it (the
green seen here). Built in 1829, it and the burial ground were
registered in 1834. In 1965 the Quaker burial ground outside of St
Austell was removed for road expansion. The headstones were saved
to line the wall of this meeting house.
St Austell High Cross Cemetery Chapel sat
on the south-eastern side of High Cross Street, opposite the
entrance to the railway station. Old maps show the chapel as a
mortuary building at the bottom of the cemetery. It would have been
to the right of the archway in this photo. The cemetery was opened
in 1793 on the High Cross field. In the 1960s all the tombstones
were moved back to the surrounding walls and the cemetery is now an
open space called cemetery park.
St Austell Plymouth Brethren Meeting House
sits at the very top of High Cross Street, tucked inside the
junction with Kings Avenue. Probably one of the earlier chapels of
its kind, today it provides a home for the Church of the Holy
Spirit Research & Enlightenment Centre, more commonly known
as The Little Church or Spiritualist Church. Formed
in a public meeting at the Arts Theatre, St Austell, on 10 October
1970, the group met for some years at Cuddra Hall (see links).
The East Hill Band Room building stands on
the northern side of East Hill, about eighty metres east of the
junction with Eastbourne Road. The date stone on the front of the
building says 1911 and the site is listed as the Free United Chapel.
Old maps suggest that the chapel was on the other side of the road
and on the other side of the Eastbourne Road junction, so this may
instead have been the Sunday School. Today it is a band room which
hosts live gigs.
East Hill United Free Methodist Church
was on the southern side of the old alignment of East Hill's southern
section - between Eastbourne Road (left of this photo) and Church
Street - it now turns towards South Street - and almost precisely
where the old East Hill meets the current version at the bottom of
the hill. Kelly's (1902) mentions it having 350 sittings. It seems
it closed to become the Old Services club before being demolished
for redevelopment work in 1986.
St Augustine's Roman Catholic Church sits
at the north-east corner of the Woodland Road and Cromwell Road
junction. A Sunday mass centre was started in East Hill in 1911,
above a decorator's workshop (site lost). The Dowager Lady Bute
donated heavily towards the first chapel, on Ranelagh Road (see
links), built in 1913. The present site was purchased in 1937 and
a small church built. The present building was erected in 1990 when
all outlying chapels were closed.
St Austell's Watering Hill Mortuary Chapel
was located at the heart of the cemetery of that name, at the
southern end of Watering Hill Close at the junction with Alexandra
Road. By the 1870s a new cemetery was needed in the town. This four
acre site was purchased to be managed by a joint burial committee
of the two local councils. The chapel was later divided in two, for
Anglicans and nonconformists. In 2011, now disused, the building was
destroyed by fire.
Light & Life Church is on the
north-western flank of The Sidings, Brunel Business Park, virtually
opposite Watering Hill Cemetery (see above) but divided from it by
the railway. The church is part of the global Free Methodist Movement.
This was launched in the late 1960s in England with the aim of being
a fully evangelical Methodist church. The first meeting to open in
Cornwall was at Helston in 1985. St Austell's meeting started in
2009 and Truro's also meets here.
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis.