The Church of St Paul is on the
south-eastern side of Church Road, about eighty metres north-east
of the Charlestown Road junction. During the period 1846-1851 the
congregation held services in a room near the present Pier House
Hotel. Plans to quickly build a church, designed by Christopher
Eales (1809-1903) were put in place in 1849. Lack of funds meant
the stunted stone tower was not completed until 1972, following a
fund-raiser, and the pews were rather inferior.
Charlestown Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is
on the eastern side of Charlestown Road, just ten metres or so north
of the Duporth Road junction. In 1799 a Methodist chapel existed in
Charlestown, possibly on this same site. The present chapel - with
one of the earliest galleried chapels in Cornwall - and the school
room (behind it) were built in 1827. The chapel continued in use
until 2000, when it closed and was sold. In 2012 the structure was
in a poor state of repair.
Campdown Cemetery Chapel, Charlestown, is
immediately south of the eastern edge of St Austell, on the southern
side of Crinnis Road, and opposite Charlestown Primary School. The
cemetery is maintained for Charlestown and takes all denominations,
while the chapel is marked on the OS map for 1905. It is in fact a
pair of semi-detached chapels at the western end of the cemetery.
The eastern part of the cemetery was set out on an earlier quarry
or mine site.
Tregrehan Primitive Methodist Chapel sits
at the south-west corner of the Chapel Lane junction with the main
north-south lane through Tregrehan (at the rear of the photo).
Primitive Methodism was introduced between the mid-1820s and 1830s
and a small cobb chapel was built. That was taken down in favour of
the present building in 1857. The congregation moved into the Sunday
school next door before 2003 and the chapel was converted into a
Tregrehan Methodist Church sits at the
north-west corner of the same junction as its predecessor (see
above). This building was erected as the Sunday school for the
chapel, and it appears on the OS map for 1907. It is not clear when
the congregation moved into this building but it seems to have taken
place by 2003 and the old chapel was sold off for conversion into
residential use. A First World War memorial sits outside the new
chapel, and lists eight names.
Par Moor Plymouth Brethren Meeting Room is
on the southern side of Par Moor Road (A3082), opposite the Biscovey
Road junction. This area was undeveloped marsh and scrubland until
the 1990s when the land was acquired for a Seventh-Day Adventist
church and a motor museum. It is likely that the Plymouth Brethren
took over this church while the Adventists remained in St Austell
(see links). Planning documents suggest that the current hall was
erected in 2008.