To complete the circular route through the town,
Par Primitive Methodist Chapel is on the west side of St
Blazey Road, about thirty metres north of the Harbour Road junction.
It was erected in 1875, possibly by Silvanus Trevail, with sittings
for 250, but became Par Bible Christian Chapel before 1914.
It is likely that it was also later Wellington Place Methodist
Church (closed about 1965). By the 1980s it was Par Gospel
(Evangelical) Church, although clearly no longer.
A possible Station Road Chapel may have
existed on the right here in St Blazey, in the predecessor of the
grey, chapel-like building that replaced it. The site is on the
western side of Station Road, about three hundred metres south of
the Fore Street junction. A photo of about 1900 showing the old
building labels it as a chapel even though available maps state it
was a school. The nearby Primitive Methodist chapel is visible in
the distance, along with the St Blazey Church tower.
Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel
stands on the western side of Station Road, just 110m or so south
of the Fore Street junction. It was built on the site of the pre-1832
Station Road Mission Hall, around 1836-1840, and was rebuilt
in 1860. It closed in 1939, and then reopened as St Blazey Central
Hall Methodist Church around 1958. That too closed, in 1989, and
much of the building was demolished in 1992 - only the rear third
survives as a chapel of rest.
Station Road Free United Methodist Chapel,
St Blazey, is located on the west side of Station Road, about sixty
metres from Fore Street. The chapel was built in 1846 for one of the
many Methodist subsets of the nineteenth century. At some point -
probably with the Methodist union of 1907 or the greater one of 1932
- it became Trinity United Methodist Chapel. The post-war
congregation decline probably caused its demise, in 1969. It was
subsequently converted into flats.
The Church of St Blaise, St Blazey, sits
on the western side of the Station Road junction with Fore Street.
It was built between 1440-1445 to replace an earlier building which
is mentioned in records for 1294. It is situated on an eminence,
near the southern end of the main town. The Perpendicular building
is granite, and consists of chancel, a nave of five bays, north and
south aisles, and a large school gallery at the west end. The tower
contains a ring of three bells.
Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Chapel, St Blazey,
is on the western side of Chapel Terrace, about fifty metres north
of the Cornhill Road junction. It was originally built before 1808
and was rebuilt in 1825. It closed in 1957 and the congregation
merged with that of the Primitive Methodists to form the Central
Hall Methodist Church (see above), although records continue into
that period. The building was later converted into flats and little
remains except the original shape.