The Seaman's Mission on the north side
of Harbour Road lay about sixty metres north of the Mountlea Drive
junction. The garages on the left here would have lain on the
immediate eastern flank of the building, with its main body further
off to the left. The mission existed by 1907 as the Seaman's Institute,
with a mission room inside that could seat eighty persons. It is still
seen on maps to the 1960s, after which it may have fallen out of use.
The building survived into the 1980s.
Par Mortuary Building lay to the left of
this footpath, just beyond an alignment with olive green hut, on the
northern side of Par Green Road and about sixty metres east of
Harbour Road. The building is shown on old maps of 1933 to 1988,
although there appears to be no attached burial ground. Cornish
Archives hold a plan of the mortuary dated 1913, and a letter
regarding a lease to the council of land for the mortuary
(September 1913). Today it is entirely gone.
St Mary's Wesleyan Methodist Chapel sits
at the north-eastern outside corner of Chapel Road as it bends from
north to west, immediately west of the Great Western mainline
railway bridge. It was built in 1864 and remains active on the
Methodist circuit. It has been modernised inside, with the Victorian
pews having been removed and carpet and chairs installed. A gallery
extends all the way around the main chapel which still does have its
The Catholic Church of Christ the King
once sat on the immediate southern flank of Par Health Centre (shown
here), on the western side of Eastcliffe Road around forty-five
metres north of the Tehidy Road junction. A church first appears on
this spot on the late inter-war OS map of 1937-1961, precisely where
No 47 Eastcliffe Road now stands behind the health centre, and with
grounds that extended across what is now No 45. By the 1970s it is
labelled, and it survives past 1988.
Tywardreath Bible Christian Chapel sits on
the eastern side of Glen View, just ten metres north of the
Elderfield Close junction in the northern part of this village on
the upper edge of Par. It was built in 1858 to seat three hundred
people. It became Tywardreath Methodist Church following the
union of 1932 and then the WI Hall (1970). It was later converted
into cottages, possibly in 1986, with a later conversion into flats
with a building name of Chapel House.
About 350 metres north of Tywardreath's
Castledore Road is Chapeldown, with Chapel Park Farm (shown here) on
its north-eastern flank. This was possibly the site of
Chambernown Chapel and manor house. In 1330 Matilda Chambernown
was granted permission to celebrate divine service in her own chapel
for one year. The name 'Chappell Downe' existed by 1586. Chapel
Down Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built here before being
replaced by Tywardreath by 1835.