Biscovey Road Church Room sits flush with
the eastern side of Biscovey Road on St Blazey Gate's western edge,
just twenty metres south of the St Austell Road junction. This small
building is clearly marked as 'Church Room' on the OS map of 1908
but does not exist on earlier maps. There is reference to a mission
room on Biscovey Road, while a grid reference for a meeting room in
the Cornwall Industrial Settlements initiative document points to
The Church of St Mary the Virgin St Blazey
Gate (Biscovey) is set deep back from the north side of St
Austell Road, about twenty metres west of the Biscovey Road junction
(see above). It was built between 1846-1849 with a graveyard
surrounding it that opened in 1857. Additional burial land was
consecrated on 20 March 1909. Near the south chancel door stands
the church's most interesting historic feature: an early Christian
cross shaft known as 'The Biscovey Stone'.
St Blazey Gate Bryanite Chapel sits on
the east flank of St Mary's (see above), accessed via a lane on the
northern side of St Austell Road. Built in 1842 it soon evolved -
with its congregation of up to three hundred - into Ebenezer
Chapel (Biscovey) or St Blazey Gate Bible Christian Chapel.
The date stone (above the sign here) notes that it was built by R
Tyzzer. Later closed, it served as a sports and social club. That
too closed (in 2014) and the chapel remains unused.
Leek Seed Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and
burial ground can be found at the north-east corner of the A390 St
Austell Road and Luxulyan Road junction. It was built in 1824 and
was restored 1903. It owes its existence, and unusual name, to a
remarkable fundraising campaign. The adjacent Sunday school and hall
(the second on the site) was built in 1924 by Williams & Lawer
(local builders). Inside, a row of bricks is inscribed with the
names of contributors to the cost.
The Chapel of St Werry is lost (this shot
looks east from Tregrehan). In 1568 Queen Elizabeth I sold a chapel
with a small cemetery and an annexed house called the Store (or Stow)
House, in the parish of St Blaise. It would seem that a chapel
originating from the Celtic Church had survived to that time. In 1926
St Weryes was described as a chantry chapel within the parish limits.
'Great Chaple Park' and 'Little Chaple Park' were two ancient
(related?) fields in this area.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses,
Biscovey, is at the bottom end of Lamellyn Road (eastern side), and
on the southern edge of St Blazey Gate. Old maps suggest that this
meeting room was built between 1977-1992. Planning documents show
permission for car parking and access in 1978 which suggests that
this was the year of the build. It was refurbished in 2007 and a
two-storey rear extension added in 2008 on what had been green land