History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis, 27 August 2021

Restormel (North) Part 5: Churches of Ruthvoes & Indian Queens

Ruthvoes (First) Bible Christian Chapel, Ruthvoes, Restormel, Cornwall

Ruthvoes (First) Bible Christian Chapel was a small building which was sited near the triangular intersection in the village, now an overgrown wooded area. The former chapel plot was accessed by a track. Early maps show it in use, but by 1907 it had been replaced by a new building (below - accessed by heading straight on here). The original building seemingly remained on site for a time before disappearing off OS maps. A run-down barn now stands very close by it.

Ruthvoes (Second) Bible Christian Chapel, Ruthvoes, Restormel, Cornwall

Ruthvoes (Second) Bible Christian Chapel can be found on the eastern side of the main north-south lane through the village. It was built some time after 1888 and before 1907. The 'Paper Plaque' on site states 1901. The Bible Christians merged with the Methodists and the location became Ruthvoes Methodist Church. The chapel was still in use in 1990, but planning documents for 2003 show approval for a conversion to residential use.

Indian Queens (First) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Indian Queens, Restormel, Cornwall

Indian Queens (First) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on the west side of Saint Francis Road in Indian Queens, about fifty metres north of Chapel Road. A first meeting house opened in 1814 (below). Years later a small galleried chapel was built to the left of the building shown here. A new chapel on a second site (below) superseded it. The original became a Sunday school. It was replaced by the present building in 1924, then being demolished to become today's car park.

Indian Queens (Second) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Indian Queens, Restormel, Cornwall

Indian Queens (Second) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel sits on the north side of Chapel Road, about thirty metres west of the Saint Francis Road junction. This chapel replaced the original on Saint Francis Road (above), on land adjoining the two corner cottages facing the old turnpike. The new chapel was built in 1896, without space for organ or choir. An extension was soon added, the 'Orchestra', to make up for that, and the still operational building was also upgraded in 2004.

Indian Queens Methodist Meeting House, Indian Queens, Restormel, Cornwall

Indian Queens Methodist Meeting House seemingly originally stood somewhere between what is now Young's Leisure shop and the cemetery. The original Methodist society was founded in Indian Queens in 1814, although the precise location of its first meeting place has been lost. Eventually the society was able to built a dedicated chapel on Saint Francis Road (see above), which itself was replaced by the present Methodist church building in 1896 (also above).

Church of St Francis, Indian Queens, Restormel, Cornwall

The Church of St Francis, Indian Queens. is on the northern side of St Francis Road, close to the junction with The Drang which provides this quick hook-back from Chapel Road. In 1869, Henry Lawrence Ventris, rector of St Columb Major (see links), noticed the presence in this area of five Methodist chapels but no established church. The building of the mission school was completed in 1884. In 1926 the church was extended to twice its original size, completed in 1929.

All photos on this page by Jo Lewis.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.