History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis, 31 August 2021

Restormel (North) Part 7: Churches of Trebudannon to St Columb Major

Trebudannon Wesleyan Methodist Meeting House, Trebudannon, Restormel, Cornwall

Trebudannon Wesleyan Methodist Meeting House hosted the area's first formal gathering of Methodists. The cob-built building, now a barn, sits about fifty metres north of the southernmost of the hamlet's two link lanes to Trebudannon Lane. Built in 1789, it adjoins Hawkes Farm, with a row of windows along the south-facing wall. The original front door was later taken down and filled in (now behind the creeper). A visiting preacher would sleep at the back of the house.

Trebudannon Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Trebudannon, Restormel, Cornwall

Trebudannon Wesleyan Methodist Chapel sits on the western side of the main north-south lane in the hamlet, just thirty metres north of the earlier meeting house (see above). This location is present on 1881 maps, built in 1818 with a transfer of the land for it given by the Squire Rowse. There were 92 sittings for the Queens Society and twenty-one registered members. Archives show it remained in use into the 1960s but it is now a private residence.

St Columb Major Cemetery Chapels, St Columb Major, Restormel, Cornwall

St Columb Major Cemetery Chapels sit in the cemetery on the western side of Trekenning Road, bordered to the west by the A3059. It was formed about 1856, at a cost of 1,200, enlarged in 1878, and is now in the hands of the parish council. It comprises a full hectare of land, originally purchased and laid out by the former burial board, which also erected the two mortuary chapels. They are of squared granite rubble with granite dressings and are Grade 2 Listed.

St Mary Magdelene Old Chapel, Bosworgey, Restormel, Cornwall

St Mary Magdelene Old Chapel, Bosworgey, was to the north of the Newquay Road, midway between that and Bosworgey itself, east of the lane. This shot looks towards the site which would have been in or behind the furthest clump of trees in the centre. The chapel is marked on the 1882 map as a 'remains of', but today even those remains have gone. It was licensed in 1260, the earliest such Cornish licence, and was traditionally associated with Bosworgey House.

Bospolvans Old Chapel, Bospolvans, Restormel, Cornwall

Bospolvans Old Chapel was sited to the immediate south-south-east of the farm complex of the same name, not far east of Bosworgey. It was sited beyond this view along a private track, in what is now the middle of a field to the right of the shot, beyond the far trees. Hals mentions the ruins of a chapel called Bespalsan or Bisplavan, 'called in old writings Bolspolvan'. This may have been the Chapel of St Thomas, licensed on 21 December 1374, although this is not confirmed.

St Columb Major United Methodist (Free) Church, St Columb Major, Restormel, Cornwall

St Columb Major United Methodist (Free) Church is on the western side of Fore Street, twenty metres north of the West Street junction. It was erected in 1876, built in stone in the Gothic style. It sat 250, with a Sunday school attached. After appearing on 1888 OS maps as a chapel, it was missing from later editions. Modern documents refer to it as Fore Street Methodist Church, possibly, briefly, becoming their home in the 1970s (see links). It has also supplied club facilities.

Five photos on this page by Jo Lewis, and one kindly contributed by Barry Haines via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group. Additional information from Magna Britannia, Rev Daniel Lysons & Samuel Lysons (London, 1814).

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.