St Michael & All Angels Church House,
Heavitree, is on the east side of Church Street, opposite the
entrance to St Michael's Church (see links). Almost every fifteenth
and sixteenth century Devon parish had a church house where people
met for church ales (effectively fundraisers for the church),
parties, and meetings. Most went out of use following the
Reformation. This one was clearly demolished in the late 1700s
in favour of the present building which bears the name.
Exeter School Chapel is on the immediate
eastern flank of the main building, and the eastern side of the
main access road from Manston Terrace, just visible from the main
gates (at the northern edge of this photo). The school traces its
origins from the opening of the Exeter Free Grammar School on 1
August 1633. It became the city's school, which soon occupied the
buildings of St John's Hospital. The school and chapel moved to
its present site at Victoria Park Road in 1877.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints, South Wonford, sits inside a large compound on the
southern side of Wonford Road opposite Nuffield Health Exeter
Hospital, a short way west of Barrack Road. This was the site
of Old Matford house in the late Victorian period in an otherwise
green and pleasant part of South Wonford. The house was demolished
after the First World War and small private residences erected.
Not all of those survived the Second World War.
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital Chapel,
Wonford, lies in the centre of the enclosed grounds of Wonford
House Trust Headquarters, on the northern side of Dryden Road. The
chapel and the large building that encloses it on three sides were
all once part of Wonford House Lunatic Asylum. The RD&EH took
over the site (and another at Heavitree) when it left its original
home at Southernhay, moving here in 1974 while the original
Southernhay chapel was demolished.
Hope Road Baptist Chapel sits on the
southern side of the narrow Hope Road (formerly Muddy Lane) at its
northern end, and about twenty metres east of the Wonford Street
junction. The street itself was renamed for the chapel which was
built in 1905. After just twenty-six years the Baptists moved to
their current location in 1931 (see below), which had a much larger
capacity for a growing congregation. Today the old chapel is
Nannybears nursery and pre-school.
Wonford Baptist Chapel (now part of the
South West Baptist Association) is on the west side of Wonford
Street, approximately midway between the Kent Close and Carlisle
Road junctions. Largely utilitarian with moderate traces of
decoration, it was erected in 1931 to replace the previous chapel on
Hope Road (see above). Today it is part of a diverse group of around
ninety churches covering Devon, Cornwall, southern Somerset, and a
small part of Dorset.
Wonford Street Chapel sits at the
north-east corner of the Wonford Street and Salters Road junction in
Wonford. The building is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 as
an infant school. It was still serving as such in the inter-war
years, but the OS 1:10,560 shows it as 'Ch'. Very recent online
versions of the OS map also place a cross on it to denote a church,
although it now (2020) seems to have been converted into private
residences known as 1-4 Ruby Court.
Wonford Methodist Church is on the
north-east corner of the Burnthouse Lane dog-leg at the road's
eastern end, where it adjoins Wonford Street to the north and
Rifford Road to the east. Methodism emerged in Exeter in the late
seventeenth century, seemingly at the North Gate Chapel, although it
was at least initially labelled as Presbyterian. That was replaced
by the 'Ten Cells' Meeting in 1769-1779 and then Musgrave's Alley
Chapel from 1779.
The Mint Meeting was established in 1813. By the
mid-twentieth century the city was expanding south and westwards.
South Wonford in the late Victorian period was covered in orchards
or woodland plantations - only partially cleared during the
inter-war years. The site of Wonford's church was readied around the
same time. The main building (to the left) was up by the time the
Second World War was over. The hall at the back came later, possibly
several decades later.
City Community Church (The Ludwell Centre)
can be found at the south-west corner of Ludwell Lane and Burnthouse
Lane in South Wonford. The Salvation Army opened what was termed an
'outpost' on Burnthouse Lane, possibly by the 1920s. It's unclear
whether this is the same building, but it certainly existed earlier
than most buildings in this area, all of which were erected in the
middle twentieth century to house the city centre's crowded West
Nine photos on this page by P L Kessler, and one
by Exeter School. Additional information by Dr Helen Wilson.