All Saints, Billesley, lies beside the Hall,
north of the Alcaster-Stratford road. Billesley appears to have been
a relatively important Saxon settlement, but the Black Death of 1361
was especially severe in this part of Warwickshire, and this depopulated
a community that was finished off by inclosures the following century.
By 1450 the village had disappeared, and later even the church was in
ruins. The lines of former buildings are still clearly visible in a
field to its south.
The church has a round apse, a south vestry, and
west porch, and evidence points to a twelfth century origin, with
remains of later medieval windows and a doorway. The building, in
ruins by the sixteenth century, is said to have been rebuilt by Bernard
Whalley in 1692, erasing much of the earlier structure, including any
internal features. The roof is hidden by a plain flat plastered ceiling,
while the bell cote has one small bell from 1721 by Richard Sanders.
St Peter, Binton, is on the southern side of
the junction between Church Bank and Main Road. The church is first
mentioned in 1199 and consisted of a chancel with north and south
transepts, nave, and south porch. The font was probably added in the
fifteenth century and survives today, as does the communion plate
which includes an Elizabethan cup with the maker's mark 'IF'. The
windows and other fittings seem to have been replaced in the
The church was entirely rebuilt in 1875. Apparently
it holds no ancient structural remains save the font and cover, a chest,
and some coffin lids. Only the tower may date from the original building
work, although in a clearly modified state. There is one bell, by Matthew
Bagley, which is dated 1669, while the village stocks used to stand
on the bank outside the northern side of the churchyard, on the
opposite side of the church from that shown in the previous photo.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan