St Giles, Exhall, is on the south-eastern
side of the main street, which is midway between Temple Grafton and
Wixford, to the north of Bidford-on-Avon (not to be confused with
Exhall in North Warwickshire). The parish lies across the valley of
the Hay Brook, a small tributary of the Arrow and its church is a
small building with a nave dating from the twelfth century, with a
thirteenth century chancel. The walls are made of old Lias rubble,
although the south wall has been rebuilt.
The church was heavily restored and partly
rebuilt in 1862, mainly at the cost of the then rector. The chancel
arch and roof were also replaced. The church was dedicated by Simon,
bishop of Worcester, c.1125-1135, who declared it to be a chapelry
of Salford, meaning the advowson belonged to the canons of
Kenilworth. After the Dissolution the living remained in the gift of
the Crown until 1916-1921, when it was ultimately acquired by the
bishop of Coventry.
St Milburga, Wixford, is at the northern
end of a lane which reaches up from the main street at the junction
with the Wixford Road. Wixford is another small parish which lies
across the valley of Hay Brook. The church was built in the twelfth
century and consists of an undivided chancel and nave, a south
chapel and a porch. The building is narrow considering its length,
and seems to have been lengthened in the thirteenth century,
possibly at both ends.
The south chapel with an arcade of two bays was
built about 1400 by Thomas de Cruwe. The grey marble, low altar tomb
of Thomas and his wife has one of the finest and best preserved
brasses in the county and stands in the middle of the chapel. The
church was restored in 1881, obscuring much of its earlier history.
The south porch and western bell turret with two bells probably date
to this work and the north doorway was probably blocked at the same
All photos on this page kindly contributed by Aidan