The Lord Apostolic-Orthodox Church 'Transformation
of Our Lord' (Apostliku Õigeusu Issandamuutmise kirik in Estonian) is
at Aia 5, on the north-west corner with Kuninga tänav (street) in Pärnu.
A large part of south-east Estonia's population, the Setus, had
traditionally been Russian Orthodox since they were converted. At the end
of the nineteenth century there was a largescale conversion of Lutheran
Estonians by many hoping win win the czar's favour.
St Catherine's Church in Pärnu became too small
for the city's Orthodox congregation so, in 1904, this new church
was constructed and gained its own (Estonian) parish separate from
St Catherine's Russian congregation. The church has a brick facade
that is typical of the period and a base of granite ashlar work. The
campanile is thirty-eight metres (yards) high and the cupola
thirty-four metres high. The altar wall holds eleven icons and
eleven major wall paintings.
The Estonian Evangelical Christian & Baptist
Churches of the Pärnu Salt & Light Church (Eesti
Evangeeliumi Kristlaste ja Baptistide Koguduste Liidu Pärnu Sool ja
Valgus kogudus) comprises a Seventh-Day Adventist congregation and a
Baptist group which both meet at the Salt & Light Church on these
premises at Karja 1-4, situated diagonally opposite the Lord Orthodox
Church (above). The building is a typical Estonian 1930s wooden-fronted
house with stone side walls.
The Christian Pentecostal Church (Kristliku
Nelipühi Kiriku Pärnu kogudus) is probably a fairly recent Pentecostal
meeting in the city. It occupies a section of the building shown here,
at Pikk 12, on the northern side of the street (the photo here is taken
looking southwards towards the building with Pikk tänav (street) behind it).
The roof window towards the righthand side of the building shows where
the church meets, while the section on its right houses a sex shop.
Agape (Methodist) Christian Church (AGAPE
kogudus) is at Männi 2, on the western side of the street. From 1921,
Methodists were meeting in premises at the corner of Karja and Possieti
streets, and from 1925 at the corner of Suur-Veski and Liiva streets.
Between 1930-1940, the church had premises at 14 Riia street, but these
were confiscated by the Soviets, although an alternative location was
supplied by the city. The present church was opened in 1992.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses (Jehoova
Tunnistajate Pärnu kogudus) is located in a smallish plot on the western
side of Pirni street at 14b. This side street is one of fairly standard
detached housing, with a road surface which was unmade at the time the
photo was taken, while road relaying work was being undertaken in the
area. Entire streets at a time in Estonia can be dug up for relaying
or improvement, although they are rarely sealed off from public use.