History Files
 
 

 

Sights & Scenes of Estonia

Houses of Estonia

by Kersti Hansen & Egle Sarapik, 10 July 2022

 

Elva, Tartumaa, Estonia
Photo © Kersti Hansen

Kesk 40, Elva, Tartumaa.

Late Russian Empire period, towards the end of the nineteenth century.

Tartu, Tartumaa, Estonia
Photo © Egle Sarapik

Jakobi tn 25, Tartu, Tartumaa.

Combined office and apartment building, Second Estonian Republic period (1991-Present), built around 2015.

Pärnu, Pärnumaa, Estonia
Photo © Egle Sarapik

Merchant Mohr's House, Rüütli 21-23, Pärnu, Pärnumaa.

Built in 1681 along with a storehouse for the merchant, C H Mohr, and redesigned in the nineteenth century according to the principles of Classicism.

Sweden's King Carl XII stayed here for ten days when he and his troops reached Pärnu in 1700, before departing to Narva. A horseshoe which allegedly was found nearby in 1700 has been affixed to the triangular frontispiece next to the building's flagpole.

In 1764, Empress Catherine II stayed here because it was the most spacious lodgings to be had near the new market. From being owened by merchants the building fell into the hands of the town's telegraph and post office, and it now serves as a municipal building.

Pärnu, Pärnumaa, Estonia
Photo © Egle Sarapik

Papli tn 17, Pärnu, Pärnumaa.

Second Estonian Republic period (1991-Present), built 2010-2020.

Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia
Photo © P L Kessler

Kadaka tee 62, Tallinn, Harjumaa.

Likely to be First Estonian Republic era (1918-1940), built in the 1910s-1930s.

Tartu, Tartumaa, Estonia
Photo © Egle Sarapik

Tähtvere 48, Tartu, Tartumaa.

First Estonian Republic era (1918-1940), built in the 1920s-1930s, but fully renovated in 2016.

Elva, Tartumaa, Estonia
Photo © Kersti Hansen

Kruusa 29, Elva, Tartumaa.

Soviet Union period (1940-1991), built in the 1980s.

Elva, Tartumaa, Estonia
Photo © Kersti Hansen

Kesk 25, Elva, Tartumaa.

First Estonian Republic era (1918-1940), built in the 1920s-1930s.

Pärnu, Pärnumaa, Estonia
Photo © Egle Sarapik

Papli 27, Pärnu, Pärnumaa.

Second Estonian Republic period (1991-Present), built between 2010-2020.

Pärnu, Pärnumaa, Estonia
Photo © Egle Sarapik

Pärnu Town Hall, Nikolai 3, Pärnu, Pärnumaa.

The town hall is located in a house which was built in 1797 by the merchant, P R Harder. With its early-Classicist decor it was one of the most prominent houses in the city at the time.

In 1804, Russia's Czar Alexander I stayed here during his visit to Pärnu. From 1839 it was used as the town hall while the old medieval town hall was demolished.

 

All photos kindly contributed by Kersti Hansen, taken in May 2022, Egle Sarapik, taken in April-June 2022, & P L Kessler, taken in December 2004.

 

Images and text copyright © Kersti Hansen, Egle Sarapik, & P L Kessler except where stated. An original feature for the History Files.