The Catholic Church of St Alesander lies on
the northern side of the central park in Suwałki, Podlaskie Province,
which is just a few kilometres south of the border with Lithuania. Tadeusza
Kościuszki street borders the church at the nearby road junction on its
eastern side. The church was designed by Chrystian Piotra Aignera between
1820 and 1825, and built in 1829. A redesign by Henryka Marconiego was applied
in 1845. It contains the ashes of Edward Franciszek Szczepanik.
The Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed
Virgin Mary (Crerkiew prawosławna Zaśnięcia Najświętszej
Marii Panny in Polish) stands on the north-west corner of Tadeusza Kościuszki and
Adama Mickiewicza streets in the city of Suwałki. The Orthodox church with its
long nave and three tier tower was converted to a Catholic church shortly before 1941,
and possibly it is now known by the more simple title of the Catholic Church of St
Mary (tzw. Mały Kościółek).
The Lutheran Holy Trinity Church (Kościół ewangelicki)
is located on the south-east corner of Tadeusza Kościuszki and Wigierska streets,
facing out over the former, in the centre of Suwałki. The church was erected between
1839-1841, built in the Classicistic style to a design by Karol Majerski (1800-1870 and
born in Warsaw, Karol translates as Charles in English) and Karol Ritschel. From its
opening the church was under the direction of the Evangelical-Augsberg Parish.
The Catholic Church of Suwałki occupies a plot
well back from the road, on the eastern side of the main E67 Via Baltica highway,
at the northern end of the city of Suwałki. It is a modern church building
reminiscent of Evangelical architecture of the early twenty-first century. Although
named as a Catholic church here, its denomination cannot be confirmed, and it may
in fact be an Evangelical Lutheran church, a few examples of which exist in this
strongly Catholic country.