The Church of St Gregory the Great,
Welford, stands within the grounds of Welford Park, immediately east
of the house itself and framed to the east and south by the Welford
Road. The first church on this site predated Domesday Book of 1087
with Norman additions. Some rebuilding may have taken place in the
1200s, during which the Norman tower gained its spire. This church
was rebuilt in its present form in 1852, during which Saxon
foundations were rediscovered.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Hungerford
Newtown, stands at the north-east corner of the hamlet's central
crossroads. It was established here to counter nonconformist preaching.
Initial services were held in the village school, but in 1869 funds
became available to build a chapel for the school, licensed to carry
out only some of the functions of a full parish church. Attendances
declined and it closed in 2005. The church is now a private dwelling
(seen here in 2004).
The 1851 Census mentions a Wesleyan Methodist
Cottage in Hungerford Newtown - the only source regarding this
place of worship. Its location is not known, and this photo provides
a general view with St Mary on the left (see above). Also a dwelling
between services, the cottage could seat thirty and was attended by
the minister from Hungerford's Ebenezer Chapel (see links). A
dedicated chapel was never opened here, so presumably Hungerford took
Holy Trinity Church was sited about
ninety-one metres from Denford Park, just north of Hungerford.
Designed by Papworth, it was built in 1832 by George Henry Cherry,
master of Denford, to serve as a chapel on his lands. It was a brick
build, faced externally with stone and plastered internally, and
with stone dressings to the windows, doors, and buttresses. In
July 1952 the benefices of Denford and Hungerford were united and
it became disused. Demolition followed in 1956.
The Church of St Saviour, Eddington,
stands on the eastern side of Eddington Hill, immediately south of
the parish cemetery. Between 1150-1160 the prior of St Frideswide in
Oxford erected a chapel at Eddington, probably outside the parish
boundaries due to an agreement with the abbot of Bec. Dedication
unknown, it survived in 1331-32 but later disappeared. The present
St Saviour's was built 'for the convenience of the northern part of
the parish' and was dedicated in 1868.
Its building seems to have been a reaction to the
erection of the Methodist Ebenezer Chapel in Hungerford (see links).
The land was donated by William Honywood of Chilton Lodge, and the
church was built by a local firm. It is in the Victorian Gothic
Revival style, using red and white brick to a design by Sir Arthur
Blomfield. It seated 250 people but closed about 1956. It was
converted into a private dwelling (Church House) in 1977 although
the churchyard can be visited.