Inkpen Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stands on
the eastern side of Post Office Road, with a large area of woodland
immediately to its south and east. It was opened in 1872. Post-war
attendances dropped rapidly across Britain, and it was no different
for the Methodists. The chapel closed in the 1970s (this shot was
taken in 1994), and is now a private residence called The Old Chapel.
A Sunday School sat at the rear of the chapel, since incorporated into
St Mary's Church Hamstead Marshall sits
atop a steep crest on the southern side of Park Lane, approximately
3.3 kilometres east of Kintbury in Berkshire and on the south bank
of the Kennet. Known until recently as Hampstead Marshall, the 'p'
has been dropped to avoid confusion with other, similarly named
places. The earliest part of the church is the twelfth century
south doorway, while the fifteenth century north aisle was only
partially modernised by the Victorians.
Around 1622, the church was largely altered, gaining
its tower at the same time. It is not clear whether this replaced an
older version. Much of the walls are of flint and stone rubble with an
intermingling of brick and tile, while the roofs are of modern red tiles.
The three-stage tower is entirely brick, and the doorway has been rebuilt.
The tower contains two bells, the second cast by Henry Knight of Reading
in 1592 and the first by Lester & Pack in 1756.
Northbrook Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
Newbury, sits on the western side of the street in the northern area
of the town, flanked to the south by the truncated remains of Albert
Road. The first church on this site (or perhaps the second - this is
unclear) opened in 1804 to replace Cheap Street Chapel, but a larger
building in turn replaced it in 1837-1838. This was extensively
restored in 1898 and sat five hundred. Today it is Newbury
St Nicholas Church, Newbury, is on
the western side of Bartholomew Street (formerly West Street),
bordered on the northern side by the Kennet & Avon Canal
and West Mills in Newbury. The church was built at the start
of the 1500s, some of which, at the tower end, was handled by
John Smallwood (alias 'Jack [Winchcombe] of Newbury'), the clothier.
It consists of chancel, north and south chapels, nave, north and
south aisles and porches, and half-enclosed tower.
The tower bears the date 1532 on a corbel. The
north vestry is a modern addition. The tower contains eight bells,
all by James Wells in 1803. The tenor (which was recast with the
rest) was donated in 1729. This church entirely replaced an older
building of which nothing remains. It may have begun as a chapel for
the nearby Thatcham parish church and was granted by Ernulf de Hesding
to the abbey of St Pierre de Préaux, probably about 1080.
Four photos on this page by P L Kessler, and
two kindly contributed by Keith Guyler/British Methodist Buildings
via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.