The Salvation Army Hall, Northcroft Lane,
is a neat, flint-fronted building at the north-eastern corner of
the lane and a short, unnamed street which lies immediately east
of Pembroke Road. Newbury in the 1800s was strong in industries,
including ironworking, brick-making, silk manufacture, papermaking,
and brewing. The SA was very unpopular when it first came to the
town in the 1880s due to its being firm teetotallers. A temperance
hall is next door.
Bartholomew Street Primitive Methodist Chapel
stood on the west side of the street, around twenty metres
south-west of Market Street. Primitive Methodism here found an early
base in Ebenezer Chapel. Then Union Chapel, as it was better
known, was opened on this site in 1837. A new chapel replaced it in
1877 - extended in 1897. Post-war this was demolished and replaced
by a retail premises set further back from the street. Around 2018
that too was demolished.
Newbury Baptist Church is set back from
the west side of Cheap Street, partially hidden behind retail
premises fronting that street. Baptist worship began here some
time before 1640. Initial meetings were in an old house on Northbrook
Street, then one on Northcroft Lane. Then a chapel was built here on
Cheap Street in 1859, the site previously having been occupied by a
private residence. This was replaced by the present building in
1940, with an attached school.
Newtown Road Cemetery Chapel was built as
one of a Victorian pair, with the other being the Dissenter's
Chapel. It stands within the cemetery grounds on the western side of
the road, about thirty metres north of the junction with Porchester
Road. The lost chapel still stood in 1950 but was demolished later
in the century. A temporary building was also erected in the
cemetery grounds to serve for the bombed St John's Church from 1943.
The cemetery closed in 2000.
Stroud Green Primitive Methodist Chapel
is on the western side of Greenham Road, facing south over the Eeklo
Place junction. It was built in 1874. If Stroud Green is the same
place as the early Victorian 'Stroud Common' then a chapel opened
here in 1853, having been established around 1841. The 1874 date
would therefore be a rebuild. It was closed and converted into a
private dwelling in 1989. The society amalgamated with Northbrook
Street Methodists (see links).
St Joseph's Catholic Church is on the
south side of London Road, overlooking the junction with Hawthorn
Road and immediately west of the Western Avenue roundabout. A
Catholic mission existed in Newbury when the 1864 church building
was erected (now the church hall). The present church building was
erected next to the hall in 1923-28 by W C Mangan. It is
neo-Romanesque, with a separate campanile, and a very visible
statue of Jesus on the roof.