Charnham Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
Hungerford, stood on the north side of the street, immediately east
of the junction with Bridge Street. This grand Gothic chapel
replaced Ebenezer Chapel on Church Street following completion in
1869 (see links), on a site previously occupied by the White Hart
Inn (1686-1864). Falling post-war attendances meant closure in 1970
and demolition in 1971. The site is now occupied by Chapel Court
Bridge Street Primitive Methodist Chapel
stands on the western side of Bridge Street, about thirty metres
south-west of the junction with The Forge. The first chapel here
opened in 1830 in opposition to Ebenezer Wesleyan Chapel (see links).
The present chapel was built in 1864 and a Sunday School was added
in 1907. Today it serves as Hungerford Methodist Church,
combining the post-war remnants of its own congregation with that of
Charnham Street (above).
St John the Baptist's Hospital stood on
the island between the two branches of the River Dunn at Bridge
Street's northern end (this 1921 photo shows the island and war
memorial). Founded before 1232 it was meant for lodging poor, sick,
and infirm persons. By the 1400s it was noted as a free chapel of
royal foundation, and seemingly no longer a hospital at the
Dissolution. Still in existence in 1665-66, work on the current
bridge in 1740 probably removed its remnants.
Hungerford & Ramsbury Union Workhouse
Chapel is at the south-east corner of Park Street and Ramsbury
Terrace on the eastern side of Hungerford. The town had a workhouse
in operation from about 1729. With it being overseen by an elected
'Board of Guardians', in 1847 new buildings were erected on this
site. The workhouse later became Hungerford Hospital, but in the
late 1990s the site was completely cleared for housing. Only the
former chapel survived.
Hungerford Congregational Chapel was built
on the western side of the High Street, around ninety metres south
of the junction with Park Street. In 1672 the house of Daniel Reade
was licensed for Presbyterian worship. The first purpose-built
chapel here dates to 1806, set back from the street. The present
building with its Georgian facade was erected in front of the first
chapel in 1840 (which became the Sunday School). Today it is
Hungerford United Reformed Church.
The Mission Hall of St John the Baptist,
Hungerford, stood at the north-east corner of the Salisbury Road and
Priory Road junction, with Tarrant's Hill on its eastern flank
(behind the building here). It was built in 1899 under the auspices
of Captain Hatton and his wife to ensure the town's labourers and
artisans began attending regular services. Post-war attendances fell
off, with it being closed in 1984. Demolished in 1987, the site was
redeveloped as St John's Court.