The Church of St Mark & St Luke, Avington,
stands on the eastern side of the Avington Manor Farm grounds, close
to the Radley Bottom access road. This is an unspoilt Norman
two-cell construction, with the only additions being a porch (1500s)
and a vestry (1800s). The original dedication may have been to St
Mark & St James. The west end originally had a bell tower but,
damaged by lightening, it was removed in 1848 and 1863. The church
was made redundant in 1977.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin Kintbury
lies at the northern end of Church Street, at the connection with
The Croft, to the north of the High Street. The village is a large
one which lies immediately south of the former Great Western Railway
line and the Kennet & Avon Canal. The church appears to have been
erected in the twelfth century, complete with tower. Of this, perhaps
only the south doorway, chancel arch, and west doorway are original
There is reference to the 'servants of God' and
'the holy place' in AD 931, making it likely that there was
previously a minster or oratory here. The advowson seems to have
been in the hands of Amesbury's nuns. Victorian rebuilding on the
later church in 1859 stripped out almost all of the original features,
following on from initial alterations in the 1700s. Most of the windows
are modern, but some original stonework survives, while the tower
was built a little later, around 1200.
The former Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel
in Kintbury sits on the southern side of the High Street, set back a
little from its adjoining buildings, about sixty metres east of the
Titcombe Way junction. It was built in 1853 according to the plaque
above the door, but the 1851 Census shows a date of 1839, with it
'adjoining a cottage' as it does now. An 1853 rebuild is more likely.
It is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914 but was shown as
disused on the 1949-1968 map.
Kintbury Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is on
the east side of Inkpen Road, about forty-five metres south of the
High Street junction. The present building opened in 1848, but that
suggests that it replaced an earlier building, and the Primitive
Methodists were certainly in the area by 1839 (see above). The
chapel is shown on the OS 25-inch map of 1892-1914, but without the
southwards extension that supplies the present entrance. Today it is
Kintbury Methodist Church.
Christ Church Kintbury Crossways stood at
the north-east corner of Forbury Lane and Pebble Hill to the south
of Kintbury. Built in 1867, the above lithograph shows a stone
building with chancel behind and a south-west tower. The wooden
framework must have been considerable though, as the presence of
death watch beetle in the mid-1900s enforced closure and demolition.
The churchyard has since been expanded into the dedicated
Two photos on this page by P L Kessler, and
two photos kindly contributed by Rex Harris, and Keith Guyler/British
Methodist Buildings, both via the 'History Files: Churches of the
British Isles' Flickr group.