Bethel Row Mission Room, Leaveland, stood
on the eastern side of the direct Leaveland lane to Charing, around
two hundred metres to the south of the Workhouse Road Junction. The
chapel site consists of the southern section of the terrace of
buildings shown here, according to the OS 25-inch map of 1894-1914.
It is unclear whether the present buildings are the same ones,
although they do appeared to be aged. The farthest two stand where
the chapel used to be.
Throwley Priory stood on the south side of
Bagshill Road, to the north-east of Throwley, on grounds now
occupied by Glebe Cottage. The alien priory of Throwley, a cell to
the abbey of St Bertin at St Omer in France, was founded around the
middle of the 1100s. St Mary Chilham was granted to it in the early
1150s. Henry V saw to it that the manors, rectories, or churches of
Throwley, and those of Chilham and Molash, passed to the duke of
Exeter and others in 1424.
St Michael & All Angels Church, Throwley,
is on the west side of Throwley Road, around 225 metres south of the
Bagshill Road junction. Generally, in this part of Kent at least,
rural churches stood next to the main manor house, as at Luddenham
Court, but Throwley Court disappeared before the start of the
twentieth century. The church sits on top of a hill overlooking a
quiet valley. Work on it first started between 800 and 825,
presumably in flint rather than wood.
The Normans and their successors increased the
size of the church until around 1510 when it reached its present
proportions. The north chapel is a mix of twelfth century original
and thirteenth century additions, the south chapel dates later, to
the 1300s. The nave arcades date from the 1400s. The next five
hundred years saw very little change until restoration work of
1866-1867, at a cost of £3,000, and the tower with its ring of
eight bells was increased in height.
The Church of St Mary, Stalisfield, is
situated on the eastern side of Church Road, immediately south of
the junction with Hillside Road. The Domesday Book noted the village
as 'Stanefelle', ie 'Stonefield', a name well adapted to the stony
soil here. The church is typically Norman, built in the twelfth or
thirteenth century. It belonged to the priory of St Gregory in
Canterbury until the Dissolution, perhaps part of its original
endowment by Archbishop Lanfranc (1070-1093).
The cruciform church, with its steeple standing
in the middle of the south side, was built using local flint, which
is in plentiful supply here. It stands beside the site of the former
manor house. As so often in Kent, the village nucleus is about a
kilometre (two-thirds of a mile) away, making the spacious church
quite remote on its North Downs hideaway. St Peter's Oare was once a
chapel of ease for St Mary's, and was detached at some point before
the eighteenth century.