New Mills London Apprentice Primitive Methodist
Chapel lies on the west side of Pentewan Road (B3273) at the
northern end of New Mills and London Apprentice. An unsuccessful
Primitive Methodist mission arrived here in the 1830s and ceased
in 1846. A new society started in 1849, with services in the house
of a Walter Coombe. The chapel was built in 1870, and enlarged in
1904 with a Sunday School. It closed in 1993, and the building is
now a holiday cottage.
Tregongeeves Farm is on the western side of
Tregongeeves Lane, about 250 metres south of the A390 junction. This
was the site of Tregongeeves Quaker Meeting House and home to
Loveday Hambly, one of Cornwall's best-known early Quakers. A friend
of George Fox, founder of the Quaker movement, her farmhouse became
a meeting place for Quakers across all of mid-Cornwall. The estate
now forms a set of luxury farm cottages, one of which is called
The Church of St Mewnus, St Mewan, is on
the eastern side of St Mewan Lane in this tiny hamlet. Saint Mewan
was a sixth-century Celtic saint who was born either in Wales or
Cornwall, although he is generally venerated in Brittany. The church
has Norman origins - the foundations for the granite bell tower and
the base of the font were laid in 1100. The stained glass windows
are Victorian, with the church being substantially rebuilt in 1854
and then enlarged in 1890.
The former Gover Valley Bible Christian Chapel
can be reached from St Mewan by passing through eastern Trewoon via
Stoney Lane, and then turning left onto Gover Road. The chapel
is now a bed and breakfast, the third of three buildings on the
western side of this section of road in Gover Valley/Sparnon Moor.
A Sparnon Moor Chapel is listed in the Bible Christian 1901
list, possibly the same building. It is now 'The Old Chapel House'
following post-war closure.
Amongst many other locations, John Wesley
preached in St Mewan parish, at The Green in Trewoon where the
railway now crosses the A3058. The first nonconformist chapel for
the area, Trewoon Bethel Chapel, was built here in 1821 -
admittedly some time after Wesley's death in 1791. It was demolished
when the road bridge over the railway was built in 1859. Its
replacement was Trinity Chapel (below), which was dedicated in
honour of Wesley.
Trewoon Trinity Methodist Church is on the
western side of Westbridge Road, just beyond the railway bridge. It
opened in 1871 to replace the lost (1859) Bethel Chapel down the
road (above). The work was pioneered by John Gaved, while Mrs Hennah
of Hembal Manor donated the plot. It was renovated and expanded in
2002. Trewoon Reading Room, three buildings to the south-east
of the church, is now the village's social club ('TRR 1904' is on the
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis. Additional
information from Bed & Breakfast Stops in England, FHG
Guides (p114, Gover Valley).