Trewoon Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
sits on the northern side of Carne Hill, around sixty metres
north-west of the junction with the Westbridge Road. There seems
to be little history available for this modern building. It is not
marked on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1992 but planning documents
suggest that planning was approved in 1988. Given the likelihood
that it may have taken a year or two for it to be included on maps.
It was probably built in 1990-1993.
Lanjeth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel can be
found further along Westbridge Road from Trewoon, on the eastern
side of a minor lane between Coombe Road and the Burngullow branch
line to Imerys Minerals at St Dennis. The chapel was built in 1867,
and was enlarged in 1887. There is a register of baptisms from 1830
(which implies an earlier build or building) to 1979, with inspection
reports until 1998. In 2001 planning was granted for conversion into
High Street Primitive Methodist Chapel is
on the south side of the B3279 road, about 180 metres north-west of
the junction with the A3058 at Long Lane. The chapel is marked on
early maps (1881), becoming a Free United Methodist Church by 1907,
and is labelled simply as 'Methodist Church' by 1932. It was disused
by the time of the Second World War when American troops camped nearby.
Planning permission was sought in 2004 to alter it to a holiday
The site of Trelion Bible Christian Chapel
can be found by skipping straight through St Stephen from High
Street via the A3058. The Terras Road turn-off at the River Fal
crossing leads to this spot at a junction which heads south. The
bench seemingly marks the location of what seemingly was a box-like
chapel (possibly temporary). It is marked on maps of 1880, becoming
Trelyon Methodist Church in the 1930s. It closed around 1965
and was soon demolished.
Scarcewater Bible Christian Chapel lies
even further to the west along the A3058, on the northern side just
a hundred metres east of the Penhale and Grampound Road crossroads.
It was built in 1869, later becoming Scarcewater Methodist Church
at the Methodist union of 1932. According to the BBC's 'Domesday
Project' it was still active in 1986 but was no longer in use by
1992. Planning was approved in 1994 for conversion into a private
St Stephen's Church, St Stephen-in-Brannel
is on the east side of Fore Street, with Churchtown Road on its
north flank, and the A3058 just ninety metres or so to the south.
It was dedicated on 20 August 1261 by Bishop Bronescombe of Exeter,
probably replacing an earlier structure dedicated to St Helen (Elent).
The tower was damaged by lightening in 1784, after which the old
spiralet was replaced by a fourth pinnacle. Restoration took place
in 1854-71 and the 1900s.