St Dennis (New) Methodist Church, Carne
Hill, is the brand new (in 2019) replacement for the old Carne Hill
Methodist Chapel (see links), and sits on the same site, albeit an
enlargened site. The old chapel closed in May 2016 following an
outbreak of dry rot. Then the Church Council agreed to redevelop
the Carne Hill site with a new building which opened on 2 June 2019,
replacing three previous chapels in the village - Providence, Hendra
Road, and Carne Hill.
St Denys Church, St Dennis, sits on the
crest of the hill at the northern end of Church Road, on the site
of an Iron Age fort. This parish church was dedicated to St
Dionisius (Dennis) before 1327, and the original structure was
Norman, erected in the eleventh century. The tower was added in the
thirteenth century and is now the oldest part of the building. The
rest was quite dilapidated when it was rebuilt in 1847, and a fire
of 1985 almost succeeded in destroying it all.
Enniscaven United Methodist Chapel is on
the northern side of the Enniscaven road from St Dennis, opposite
the southbound Gothers Road, immediately east of Enniscaven itself.
It replaced the original chapel (see below) in 1907, being built as
Bible Christian but having become Methodist by the time the doors
opened. It may also be the Newmoor United Methodist Chapel
mentioned elsewhere for this area. It closed in 2004 and was
converted in 2007 into a holiday home.
Enniscaven Bible Christian Chapel is on
the north side of the Enniscaven road, just a hundred metres west of
the road turning northwards into the centre of the hamlet. Initial
meetings were held in private houses and barns in the 1820s. Land
was leased for the chapel in 1840 and it was quickly completed, with
later extensions. With membership increasing, a new chapel was built
down the road in 1907 (above). The old chapel has recently been
rescued from a ruin (see link).
Tregoss Bible Christian Chapel stood on
the western side of the main lane in Tregoss, no more than fifty
metres north of the central green. Archived records exist to show
that it was registered in 1861. Kellys of 1893 notes its
existence, and lease records of 1910 show that it (like others
locally) had amalgamated, becoming Tregoss United Methodist
Chapel. Online references suggest that it was replaced or
became a cow barn. Today a modern barn occupies the site.
Roche Wesleyan Methodist Chapel stands on
the north side of Chapel Street, around a hundred metres east of the
junction with Victoria Road. Now officially titled St John's
Methodist Church, it was founded in 1835, with a school room
being added in 1874. A full restoration was carried out in 1877
when Silvanus Trevail undertook the work and extended the school
house at the same time. The building was refurbished again in 2017
and it and the school are listed.