Whitemoor Bible Christian Chapel sits
on the south side of Crown Road, about 110m west of the North Road
junction and the route from Roche and Trezaise to the north-east.
According to its own records the chapel had its foundation stone
laid on 17 March 1875. Later as Whitemoor Methodist Church
the building was well maintained and is one of the few with a
preaching pit outside (not seen in this picture). The upper floor
houses the chapel sanctuary - modernised in 2005.
Nanpean Methodist Chapel (Free United) is
on the west side of Currian Road in Nanpean, about seventy metres
north of the Fore Street junction. The original chapel stood in the
middle of what is now the car park, built in 1873 along with a
Sunday School behind it. In 1990 the chapel required a huge amount
of work so instead it had to be demolished in 1994. After much local
fundraising the Sunday School was rebuilt in 1995 and rededicated in
1996 as the new chapel.
The Mission Church of St George the Martyr,
Nanpean, lies on the northern side of the road of the same name, and
getting there means passing the former Nanpean Reading Room
on the east side of Fore Street, thirty metres north of the
Grenville Meadows junction. This mission to St Stephen-in-Brannel
was built by Mr George Fortescue of Boconnoc Estate in 1878. The
design was by Silvanus Trevail and land was acquired behind it to
serve as a cemetery.
Foxhole United (Free) Methodist Chapel is
at the south-west corner of Chapel Road and Beacon Road, on the
B3279 south of Nanpean. Both chapel and Sunday School were
built in 1894. A newspaper and a newly minted penny were placed
under the foundation stone. The school opened in 1911. The chapel
was once a listed building - later removed. Baptismal records exist
for 1885-1996, suggesting an earlier chapel. This one was converted
for private use in 2004.
Old Pound Bible Christian Chapel, can be
located by taking Chegwyns Hill from Foxhole and heading northwards
towards the clay works. Old Pound will be on the left and the chapel
lies on its northern side. This listed chapel was built in 1886,
according to the date stone, but an OS map of 1881 shows it already
present - either an earlier building or one that was late in being
dedicated. Today it is Mid-Cornwall Christian Church, a
Pentecostal church, perhaps since 1932.
Greensplat United Methodist Chapel was
part of a settlement that existed until 1997, complete with a Sunday
School. Due to expansion by the nearby Wheal Martyn china clay
quarry the centre of Greensplat was entirely demolished. Until the
chapel and its Sunday School were pulled down in 1997, Greensplat
was still considered to be a village. There is now nothing left of
the village and access to the original site is cut off, although the
lost area is recognised by road signs.
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis. The story of
Greensplat's demolition is told in The Lost Villages, Henry
Buckton (I B Tauris & Co Ltd, London, Feb 2008).