History Files
 

 The History Files needs your help

The History Files is a non-profit site. It is only able to support such a vast ad-free collection of information with your help, and your help is still needed. Please click on this message to make a small donation via PayPal. That way we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. Your incredible support really is appreciated.

Target for May 2022: 0  120

 

 

Churches of the British Isles

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis, 6 February 2022

Restormel (North) Part 19: Churches of Newquay & Lane

Newquay Spiritualist Centre / Christian Science, Newquay, Cornwall

Several other small-scale churches have been raised and lost in Newquay in recent years, apart from Celtic Saints (see links). The following churches can be found in various avenues of research but there is no evidence to suggest that they are ongoing centres: Newquay Spiritualist Centre (otherwise known as Newquay Spirit) at 80a Tower Road; and Christian Science, which occupied a premises (possibly a room in a private house) on Fernhill Road.

Newquay Methodist Church (Bishop's School), Newquay, Cornwall

Newquay Methodist Church (Bishop's School) meets in the school premises on Treninnick Hill in Newquay. Three Methodist churches - Claremont, Colan (Mountjoy), and Wesley (see links) - united in 2009 with the chapels being sold to pay for the new Newquay Methodist Centre in Nansledan (seen links). The congregation, which averages fifty people, meets temporarily at this school until the new centre is ready. The first service was held on Sunday 11 October 2015.

Quarry Gospel Church, Lane, Newquay, Cornwall

Quarry Gospel Church meets in Lane Theatre. The village of Lane sits on the southern side of the A392 to the immediate south-east of Newquay. The theatre sits on the eastern side of the main road, about 140m south of the A392. The Quarry Gospel Church is an evangelical church which was established in April 2019 on this periphery area of Newquay. Formal meetings are held every Sunday morning, but informal meetings are also held in homes of congregation members.

Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lane, Newquay, Cornwall

Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel sits at the north-eastern corner of the A392 roundabout, where it meets the Treloggan Road direct connection to Newquay. This small chapel is a familiar landmark. It was apparently built in 1882, although it is already being shown on an 1881 map which would have been researched at least a year before that date. At the Methodist union it became Lane Methodist Church, but it closed about 1962 and became a funeral chapel of rest.

Crantock Reading Room, Crantock, Cornwall

Crantock Reading Room is located on the southern side of Halwyn Hill at the point at which it meets Green Lane in the heart of the oldest part of Crantock. The reading room is marked on maps from the 1930s, although this lovely little building was erected in 1922. To this day it is inscribed above the doorway with the names of those who died in the First World War, with those who died in the Second World War to the sides. Today the building is Crantock Village Stores.

The Chapel of St Ambrusca the Virgin, Crantock, Cornwall

The Chapel of St Ambrusca the Virgin sat within the yard of St Carantoc Church (see related links) a short way north-west of the reading room (see above). First recorded in 1309, the chapel was a point of pilgrimage, with remains being visible as late as the 1700s. A large number of human bones were discovered in the early 1980s, while St Ambrose Cottage was being extended, thought to be from the chapel's burial ground. A similarly-dedicated holy well was sited nearby.

Four photos on this page by Jo Lewis, one by P L Kessler, and one kindly contributed by Paul Burnett via the 'Churches of Britain and Ireland' website.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.