History Files
 

 The History Files needs your help

The History Files is a non-profit site. It is only able to support such a vast ad-free collection of information with your help, and your help is still needed. Please click on this message to make a small donation via PayPal. That way we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. Your incredible support really is appreciated.

Target for May 2022: 0  120

 

 

Churches of the British Isles

Gallery: Churches of Cornwall

by Jo Lewis & Peter Kessler, 6 February 2022

Restormel (North) Part 17: Churches of Newquay

St Michael's Church (First Site), Newquay, Cornwall

St Michael's Chapel of Ease was Newquay's first Anglican place of worship. The town was originally too small to have a church. Recorded as 'New Kaye', its population around the little harbour had to walk to St Columb Minor (see links). In 1858, this chapel of ease was built in the heart of the town. It gained a parish in 1882, but quickly became too small. In the end it was replaced by a bigger building (see links), and was demolished in favour of a Woolworth's branch.

Newquay Congregational Chapel, Newquay, Cornwall

Newquay Congregational Chapel is at the north-west corner of Bank Street and The Crescent, with its back to Newquay's main beach. The building was erected in 1888, but the church was registered for weddings as early as 1870, presumably in a temporary building. It began a Sunday school in 1883, adding a church hall in 1902 and dormer windows in 1908. It burnt down in 1924, being rebuilt the following year. It later became Newquay United Reformed Church.

Claremont (United) Methodist Church, Newquay, Cornwall

Claremont (United) Methodist Church is on the east side of Beachfield Avenue, a little north of Bank Street. This was the town's fourth Methodist meeting, with a church hall next door. It opened in 1892 to replace Steps Chapel (see links) but soon faced competition from East Street church (links). When the three surviving Methodist churches merged in 2009, this was their main place of worship. The last service was held on 4 October 2015 before a move to Nansledan (links).

Crantock Street Methodist Chapel, Newquay, Cornwall

Crantock Street Methodist Chapel stands at the south-west corner of St George's Road and Crantock Street. It was opened in 1833, the second such Methodist building in Newquay. Some members left in 1852, while the rest moved to the Steps Chapel (see links) in 1865. Following a visit by General Bramwell Booth in 1924, the building was taken over by the Salvation Army in 1926, just as the mineral railway it overlooked was being closed down (see related links).

Wesley Hill Wesleyan Chapel, Newquay, Cornwall

Wesley Hill Wesleyan Chapel sits on what is now Chapel Hill. Crantock Street Methodist Chapel of 1833 (see above) was hit by the Methodists soon dividing into two groups: Wesleyan Methodists and Reformist Methodists. The former moved to Wesley Hill in 1852. By the end of the century the congregation had moved on again, to East Street Chapel (see links). By 1907 this building had become Newquay Baptist Chapel before later being used for secular activities.

Ebenezer Baptist Chapel / Newquay Reformed Baptist Church, Newquay, Cornwall

Ebenezer Baptist Chapel hides at the south end of Broad Street at Chapel Hill, overlooking the western arm of Manor Road. This is the oldest religious building in Newquay, being founded in 1822. At that time, Chapel Hill was called Wesley Hill, and the Methodists built their own chapel nearby in 1852 (see above). The Baptist chapel was rebuilt in 1875 and continues in use today, albeit having been renamed as Newquay Reformed Baptist Church due to changes in doctrine.

Three photos on this page by P L Kessler, two by Jo Lewis, and one from the History Files collection.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.