Salem Baptist Church (Salemi baptistikoguduse
kirik in Estonian) is at Kalevi 76, on the north-east corner with Sõpruse
puiestee. It was the first new Baptist church to be built in Tartu since
the Second World War, and is one of only two Baptist churches in the city
(the other being Calvary Baptist Church). Construction began in 1992, to a
design by architect Mary Nummert. The church hall was opened for worship in
2000, and the unique tower was erected in 2004.
Jehovah's Witnesses (Jehoova Tunnistajate
Tartu kogudus) is at Ihaste tee, behind a large grocery chain store.
The area lies on the eastern side of the Emajõgi, the river which runs
through Tartu, and is a short walk from the city centre. The building is
new, built in a very short space of time at a point between 2008-2009.
As with most modern Jehovah's Witnesses buildings, there seems to be a
relatively small number of windows set high up to ensure privacy.
Old Believers Prayer House (Vanausuliste
palvemaja) is at Põik 10. The Dorpat Old Believers founded their community
in 1740. They had a small wooden worship house by 1846, but it was closed
by the Russian authorities when the community was ordered to worship at
home. In 1862, with Russia distracted, the present wooden worship house
was built, without a bell tower and any specific distinctions. The plot
was donated by the widow of Anastasi Korablyov.
The Orthodox Church of St George the Martyr
(Jüri kiriku ümbrus) is on the eastern side of Narva maantee, opposite
the roundabout and Ujula street, on the eastern side of the river.
Construction of the church and its consecration took place in 1870.
The building work may have begun as early as 1845, when the congregation
was formalised, and the church was perhaps re-built at some point. The
architecture is typical of Orthodox churches of the late eighteenth
St Peter's Church (Peetri kirik) stands on
the north-west corner of Narva maantee and Staadioni, just a little
further up the hill from St George's Orthodox Church (see above).
The congregation was formalised in 1869 while the church building was
consecrated in 1884, despite being only half-finished. The church was
finally completed in 1903, when the freshly finished fifty-five metre
(yards) principle tower and the four smaller corner towers were consecrated.
The imposing pseudo-Gothic building was built to
a design by the talented E Schröder, while the location selected for
it was symbolic of the time of the Estonian awakening - the first
general Estonian song festival of 1869 took place opposite, and the
site is marked today. The Lutheran church also features a twenty-two
register organ and beautiful altar paintings (including the 'Dying
Christ' by J Köler), while the two bells were cast in Gatsina
near St Petersburg.