St Gorran (Goronus) Church, Gorran Church
Town, can be found at the north-east corner of the village's main
junction on the road from Boswinger. The original cruciform building
was Norman. Some parts of it survive in the present church which was
build in the thirteenth century. Additions include the south aisle
in the late 1300s, and a tower and steeple in the mid or late 1400s.
This was decayed by 1606, so the steeple was removed in favour of a
St Just Chapel-of-Ease, Gorran Haven, is
on the east side of Church Street, with the beach behind it. It was
built as a chapel-of-ease in the 1400s, probably on the site of an
older chapel. Sold by Queen Elizabeth I in 1568, in 1651 (thanks to
the Protectorate) fishermen were storing tackle in it. By 1745 it was
described as a ruin. In 1812 it became the Congregationalist Old
Chapel Cellar before they built Mount Zion Chapel (below). In
1885 it was restored as an Anglican chapel.
Gorran Haven Bible Christian Chapel (BCC)
is on the east side of Church Street. Its history is fairly muddled,
but eleven men built it from local stone, hauling much of it back
by horse and cart from Vault Beach. The chapel was registered as
BCC at the start even though many of the builders were
Congregationalists from St Just (above). Once complete, it became
a member of the Congregation Union as Haven Church. The
name Mount Zion Church (Independent) is in use today.
Gorran Haven Primitive Methodist Chapel
edges onto the southern side of Canton, about two hundred metres
west of St Just (above). Thought to have been built in 1830 by
Primitive Methodists, the building is shown on an 1881 map as
Wesleyan. The Methodist church celebrated its 160th anniversary
on this site with a Flower Festival in 1990. The chapel closed
perhaps around 1990, with planning documents showing a conversion
into a private residence in 2012.
The site of Bodrugan Chapel was within
Bodrugan Manor's grounds (now a holiday complex), outside the last
corner before the sharp-descent into Portmellon on the road from
Gorran Haven. Bodrugan Barton is described as 'medieval Barton
owned by the Bodrugan family'. The manor comprised a farm house
and chapel, possibly with a park. The chapel existed in 1372 but
the entire manor was pulled down in 1786. Only a chapel wall
remained as part of a barn.
The now-lost Galowras Old Chapel existed
close to the equally now-lost castle of the same name, a little over
1.5 kilometres due west of Portmellon. Known as Gloeret in Domesday
Book (1086) a chapel is listed here in 1309, possibly dedicated as
St John's Chapel. This listing locates it at Galowras Manor
House, a short way due north from Castle Hill - now Boslinney Barn
B&B. The 1894-95 Comprehensive Gazetteer of England &
Wales confirms the chapel's existence.
All photos on this page by Jo Lewis, with
additional information from The Saints of Cornwall, Nicholas
Orme (OUP Oxford, 2000).