Pentewan Bible Christian Chapel. North
Road, was the location for the replacement to the Glentowan Road
chapel (see links). It was built in 1889 and can be seen on the 1908
OS map for the area. An old Francis Froth photo of
the chapel exists, with the Methodist chapel visible in the background on Pentewan Hill (see
On 28 August 1942 two bombs fell on Pentewan, destroying the
chapel. A photo of the aftermath can be seen in another old
Francis Frith photo.
All Saints Church, Pentewan, The Terrace, completed in 1821 – was built by Sir Christopher
Hawkins as part of his long campaign to improve the village
The south wall of the church is possibly Norman. Some authentically
Tudor and Jacobean windows, which came from ruins of Polrudden
manor, were utilized.
All Saints was not an initial success, used only for a short period
before being converted for use as a sail loft and carpenters shop.
In 1878 the building was repaired and returned to its original use
and remains a place of worship today as a Mission Church to the St
Austell Holy Trinity.Current practice is that three services a year
are provided - at Christmas, Easter and Harvest, as requested by the
Pentewan Hill Wesleyan Methodist Chapel x
here for Pentewan Hill WMC from Glentowan Road Methodist Chapel,
Restormel Part 7
This building can be seen on right as you ascend
out of the village up Pentewan Hill.
The first non-conformist meetings in Pentewan were recorded in the
18th century with a Methodist preaching house established. This
became a pilchard cellar by 1810. The first purpose-built Methodist
chapel built in 1820 as part of the Glentowan Road developments is
now the village hall(see before)
This new Wesleyan Chapel and Sunday school was built 1880 reportedly
on the site of an older building which may have been the old
preaching house. The Methodist Chapel is converted to flats. It can
clearly be seen above the village and in old photos of Pentewan.
A Francis frith photo from 1904 shows the new Bible Christian Chapel
in North Road (see other) and the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at this
Trenarren Wesleyan Methodist Chapel,
Trenarren (Ledra), Heading down towards Trenarren there is a fork in
the road and this building can be seen down the left fork. The area
is also known as Ledra
The chapel is marked on old maps as a Wesleyan Methodist chapel.
This is now a private house. Planning documents suggest that this
chapel originates from 1815. It is believed that it was converted
from a chapel to a house in the early 1970s. In addition, a long
term resident of Trenarren has stated in a letter that she recalls
attending the Sunday School held in the chapel building in the 1950s .
Porthpean Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, This
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is marked clearly on older maps in the
plot next to the Porthpean St Levan's church (See other). This
building is no longer present on 1907 maps.
This residence is now built on the plot
There is no other information
St Levan's Church, Higher Porthpean,
Easily found as you drive into Higher Porthpean, St Levan is a grade
2 listed building and an Anglican mission church
The site, and indeed the whole village once formed part of the Sawle
estate and the church was built by the Sawle family at its own
expense as a private chapel. The foundation stone was laid in 1884
by James Arther Reeve, funded by Sir Charles Brune Graves Sawle, 2nd
Baronet. It was built using local stone and slate and consecrated on
22 October 1885 by the Bishop of Truro, George Wilkinson. The church
of St Levan, Porthpean became part of the diocese in 1973 and in its
small private graveyard are granite memorials to a number of the