Mevagissey Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Second
Site) lay right behind that street - on Wesley Court. The chapel
was built in 1842 for six hundred sittings and was a fairly large
building in this confined location. Upon the Methodist union in 1932
it became known as Fore Street Methodist Church. It closed in
1967 and has since been demolished in favour of modern flats and
parking spaces. The pews went to The Wheel House (formerly Net Loft
Chapel - see links).
Mevagissey United Free Methodist Chapel
lay at the east end of Valley Park Lane (seen here from the Tregoney
Hill junction, with Corner Cottage on the left). A United Free (Methodist)
chapel is marked on early maps, sitting behind the stone wall here
on the right. This is likely what was recorded as the Free Methodist
chapel, built in 1857, affording 250 sittings. It was still there
(on maps) in 1938 but was not a chapel by 1963 and seems to have gone
St Peter's Church is on the east side of
Church Lane, at the very top of the lane to the north of the old
town centre. The first church on this site was known as the
Church of Lammorech - its original patron saints were Meva
(Maven) and Issey (Issi). It was dedicated or re-dedicated by Bishop
Bronescombe of Exeter in 1259, but was still being recorded as St
Maven & St Issi on Victorian OS maps. The upper tower
collapsed in the 1600s and was restored only by 1887.
Mevagissey Mortuary Chapel is also on
Church Lane, around eighty metres north of the church (above)
and on the north-eastern side of the lane. The chapel sits at
the front of the cemetery which was formed in 1882 out of 0.81
hectares of land and at a cost of £400. The mortuary chapel was
built to a design by Silvanus Trevail in two halves; one half
was consecrated, the remainder being assigned for the use of
Dissenters. It was converted into a workshop in 2005.
Trewinney Farmhouse is immediately north
of Mevagissey, at the eastern end of a lane which leads from the
Cliff Road and Vicarage Hill junction. Wesley visited Mevagissey
in 1753. He was met by a hostile crowd, being pelted with rotten
eggs and fish. Rescued by James and Mary Lelean he was taken to
safety at their house a mile from the town - Trewinney Farmhouse.
Mary was baptised by Wesley using a cup from the farmhouse,
becoming Mevagissey's first Methodist.
Glentowan Road Methodist Chapel, Pentewan,
is on the west side of the road of the same name, seventy metres
north of the West End junction. Built in 1820 it may originally have
been a Bible Christian Chapel (BCC) The Methodists were
initially meeting elsewhere, but that lost location (possibly the
first Pentewan Hill chapel) was in use as a pilchard cellar by 1810.
When the new BCC was built in North Road this became the Methodist
reading room. It is now the village hall.