Mevagissey Bible Christian Chapel (First Site)
stood at the south-east corner of River Street and Chapel Square at
the centre of the town. A lease for a chapel here dates to 1818,
with a trust deed of 1826, the year in which the chapel was completed.
Sources reference a rebuild in 1856, but the chapel was restored in
1888 and now seated 300. It was completely destroyed by fire in 1896
and a new building replaced it (below) in 1896. The old site now
Mevagissey Bible Christian Chapel (Second
Site) is at the north-east corner of Valley Road and Chapel
Square, opposite the previous site (above). This chapel was built
in 1896 in the Gothic style by Squire Tremayne of Heligan. It later
became River Street Methodist Church - its BCC congregation
likely joined the Congregationalists further down Chapel Square
(below). The Methodists also left by 1994. The building was on
the market in 2015 and is now private apartments.
St Andrew's United Church is on the
south-east side of Chapel Square, about twenty metres from both
Bible Christian Chapel sites (above). As can be seen, it is attached
to another chapel (to its left - the Congregational chapel - below).
This building of 1873 was erected as a school. At some point -
perhaps about 1994 - the town's Methodists, Bible Christians, and
United Reformists amalgamated to form this church which was expanded
into the earlier chapel.
Mevagissey Congregational Chapel is at
the farther end of Chapel Square, on the corner of Chapel Street
and with St Andrew's behind it (to the right here - see above). The
first building on this site was erected in 1776 as Mevagissey
Independent Church. It could seat 450 and the work was handled
by architect Silvanus Trevail. The present building replaced the
first in 1882. When St Andrew's United Church was formed, this
building was converted to be part of it.
Mevagissey Primitive Methodist Chapel
stood on Bank Terrace, to the north of the harbour. The early
Primitive Methodist society had no chapel buildings here. However,
by 1870-72 this had changed. John Wesley was a friend of Samuel
Dunn and probably also stayed at his house, now the Haven Restaurant
on Fore Street. A Primitive minister and later leader of the
Methodist Reformers in the 1850s, Dunn may have provided his
house as this first Primitive meeting house.
Mevagissey Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (First
Site), nicknamed Net Loft Chapel, stands at the north
end of West Wharf. Wesley visited the town in 1753, preaching 1.5km
out of town, probably at Trewinney Farmhouse (see links). When still
a net loft, John Wesley reportedly gave his first Mevagissey sermon
here. Then it became the town's first Wesleyan chapel (1757). It is
now the Wheel House Restaurant, sans top floor but with pews from
Fore Street Chapel.