Sticker Wesleyan Methodist Chapel lies
on the right-hand side of Chapel Hill as Sticker is approached from
the east, no more than fifty metres from the Modus Lane junction.
John Wesley preached at Sticker in August 1785. The first local
Wesleyan chapel was at Paramore, Lower Sticker, but this one was
built in the centre of Sticker in 1876. It was renovated in 1904
and was Sticker Methodist Church from 1932. It went on the
market as a private dwelling in 2014.
Immediately after the Modus Lane junction with
Chapel Hill (heading west) is the right-hand turn for Church Hill,
where can be found St Mark's Mission Church, Church Hill,
Sticker. This large chapel was provided for the 'convenience of the
people of Sticker' who were situated at a distance from the parish
church at St Mewan. It opened on 27 April 1877. Until 1956 it had a
parsonage house in the village attached to it. Today however there
is only one service on a Sunday.
Trelowth United Methodist Chapel lies
inside the western corner of the junction between Trelowth Road and
Rose Hill, at the western edge of Trelowth. There was an early meeting
house on this site, as shown on the 1840 tithe map. The present
building was erected in 1872 and is Grade II listed (1988). The date
stone says UMFC 1872, but the chapel opened in November 1873. It
ceased to be used in 2005, was sold in 2007, and is now a luxury
Polgooth Wesleyan Methodist Chapel lies
on the eastern side of Chapel Hill in Polgooth. In the 1600s and
1700s Polgooth village was influenced by some powerful Quaker and
Methodist preachers. John Wesley was at Polgooth in 1755 and Chapel
Hill's Wesleyan meeting house was later built and then enlarged as
a Wesleyan chapel (1809-1841). It was demolished and replaced by
this house when the members converted the school building and moved
Polgooth Methodist Church stands at the
top of Chapel Hill, within a stone's throw of the site of the former
Wesleyan chapel on the same hill (above). Methodism arrived in
Polgooth in the sixteenth century, alongside Quaker attempts to
recruit. An 1809 expansion of the former chapel provided too many
seats for the decline in membership in the late 1900s. The 1873
Sunday School building was converted into the current chapel and
the old one was sold.
All Saints Church, lies at the centre of
St Ewe, immediately south of Sticker via various country lanes.
This parish church was initially dedicated to St Ewe, a female
Celtic saint of whom very little is known. Ewe or Tua may have
founded her community here thanks to a 'miraculous' well almost
at the hill's top. It is still there, along the path to the left
before reaching the main door. An early Norman building was here,
being rebuilt in 1120. The tower was added in the 1300s.