The Newquay Parish Church of St Michael the
Archangel sits on the south-west corner of Marcus Hill and St
Michael's Road. Newquay was too small to have its own church at first.
Originally recorded as 'New Kaye', its population around the little
harbour had to go to the parish church of St Columb Minor. In 1858,
the Reverend Nicholas Chudleigh built a chapel of ease in the heart
of Newquay (pictured here), which became known as St Michael's. It
gained a parish in 1882.
By 1896, the church had gained north and south
aisles, but was far too small for the summer visitors. The modern
church was built on a new site and opened in 1911. The old church
was demolished to make way for a branch of Woolworth's (by 2012 the
site was occupied by Poundland and Peacock's). The tower was added
in the 1960s. Disaster struck on 29 June 1993 when the roof and much
of the interior was destroyed by fire. It took three years to repair
Elim Church stands at the north-east corner of
Marcus Hill and Seymour Avenue, diagonally opposite from St Michael's
Church (see above). The main church entrance is now on Seymour
Street (seen in the near distance to the right of this photo), while
the former hall is now the Source Cafe. Shown as a hall on old maps,
the church first registered a 'hall above garage' on Marcus Hill in
1957 (possibly the building next door). Solar panels were installed
The Steps Chapel was more officially known
as the United Methodist Chapel. It lies on the eastern side of
Marcus Hill, overlooking the junction at Manor Road. The first Methodist
preaching at Newquay was recorded by Richard Treffy in 1802. This chapel
was built in 1865 to replace the old one at Crantock Street (see below),
at which time it had the nickname of 'Spite & Envy'. It was closed
in 1892, replaced by the present church on Beachfield Avenue (see below).
Newquay (United) Methodist Church is on the
eastern side of Beachfield Avenue, a few metres north of the Bank
Street junction. This was the fourth church for the Methodists, the
second being on Crantock Street (see below) and the third on Marcus Hill
(see above). It opened in 1892 to replace the Steps Chapel (see above),
but soon faced competition from the new East Street church of 1904.
However, both church buildings survive to the present day.
Newquay United Reformed Church stands at
the north-west corner of Bank Street and The Crescent, with its back
to Newquay's main beach. The building was constructed in 1888 as
Newquay Congregational Chapel, but the church was registered
for weddings as early as 1870. It began a Sunday School in 1883, and
added a church hall in 1902. Dormer windows were added to the
building in 1908, but the building burnt down in 1924. It was
rebuilt the following year.
Newquay Christian Centre, Wesley Campus
dominates the southern side of East Street, about fifty metres
(yards) west of Grosvenor Avenue. It was constructed as Newquay
Wesley Church in 1904 by the members of the 1852 Wesley
Methodist Chapel on Wesley Hill, which was now too small for
purpose. The building, designed by Bell, Withers, and Meredith of
London, was apparently scheduled to be converted into flats around
2009 before being rescued.
The Salvation Army building is at the south-west
corner of St George's Road and Crantock Street. It was originally built as
Crantock Street Methodist Chapel in 1833, the second such Methodist
building in Newquay. Some members left in 1852, while the rest moved to the
Steps Chapel (see above) in 1865. Following a visit by General Bramwell Booth
in 1924, the building was taken over by the Army in 1926, just as the mineral
railway it overlooked was being closed down.
Newquay Reformed Baptist Church hides at
the southern end of Broad Street at Chapel Hill, overlooking the
western arm of Manor Road. This is the oldest religious building in
Newquay, and was founded in 1822 as Ebenezer Baptist Chapel.
At that time, Chapel Hill was called Wesley Hill, and the Methodists
opened the Wesley Methodist Chapel nearby in 1852 (see above). The
Baptist chapel was rebuilt in 1875 and continues in use today.
The Catholic Church of the Most Holy Trinity
Newquay lies at the south-west corner of Tower Hill and Toby Way,
overlooking the golf course on its western side. The church was built
in 1903, and a Catholic school was opened some way away, on Mount Wise
at the southern edge of the town, in 1904. A gallery was added to the
church in 1907. Until 1985 it was dependent on monks from Bodmin, but
after that year it became part of the Catholic diocese of Plymouth.